Chapter 5:

We drive for a little until Zach asks, "You want to be the death of me, huh?"

"Yeah. I guess." I shrug.

"What are you going to do? Choke me to death?" He asks wiggling his eyebrows.

"One, no, I have my plans. Two, that would be the other way around." I joke. It takes him a minute, but he finally gets it. We pull up to the hell-hole we are forced to call our school. We both jump out of the truck and walk up to the doors where the way-too-happy vice principal is greeting everyone who walks in. Seriously, she is probably high. No one can be this happy at a school. Zach lets out a chuckle.

"Nice one." Jack laughs, starting to walk with Zach and me.

"Thanks. Didn't really mean to say that out loud." I nervously laugh.

"Well I'm glad you did, because you just made my day." Jack admits. Right as Jack said that my other best friend, Corbyn, walked up to us with his girlfriend, Christina.

"Hey Maddy!" He says, while hugging me. "How have you been?"

Zach gives me a smirk while wiggling his eyebrows.

"Fuck off." I mouth to him, and he raises his hands in defense.

"Hey Madison?" Jack starts, making me turn in his direction. I hum in response, opening my thermos to take a drink.

 "Do you... um... maybe want to go out sometime?" He asks while scratching the back of his neck. I almost choke on my tea and my eyes are bugging out of my head. Zach lets out a dry laugh. I can tell he is covering something up.

"Yeah, sure. Like as a date?" I ask, clarifying what he is asking. He breathes out in relief.

"Yeah?" He poses it more as a question than an answer.

"Okay! Sounds good!" I say with a little too much enthusiasm. "Let me know when."

"Okay. I will." He assures, walking away smiling.

"Okay then..." Zach states awkwardly.

"I know right! I'm just as surprised as you are!" I say sarcastically but meaning every bit of it.

"You know that's not what I meant. I meant he was really nervous." He justifies.

"Yeah. I know. It's nice to know I have that effect on people." I smirk.

"Yeah, you do." Zach murmured, thinking I didn't hear him, but I did.

"What was that?" I ask.

"Oh, nothing." He lies. "Let's get to first period." He grabs my hand and pulls me with him towards science class.

"Today we are going to be learning about the chemical reaction of chlorine and isopropyl alcohol. What happens when you mix these two...." I tuned the teacher out and started to think about my date with Jack. What were we going to do? Where was he going to take me? I was snapped out of my thoughts by Mr. Hemmings standing in front of me. "Ms. Lorena? What happens when you mix these two chemicals?" He asks me. I know this. I have read this somewhere.

"Well, Mr. Hemmings, when chlorine and isopropyl alcohol are mixed it creates a colorless, sweet smelling liquid called chloroform. Which was used as an anesthetic. It is now illegal and is used as a drug for suicide and can be used for kidnapping." I reply like the smart-ass I am. He and the rest of the class are left with their jaws open. Except for Zach. He is sitting beside me with his hands behind his head and a 'Don't fuck with her, that's my best friend' look on his face.

"O-okay, Madison. You are exempt from the quiz since you seem to know a lot about this." Mr. Hemmings said sounding and looking shocked.

"Thanks." I say. "Took you some time to figure out how great I am." I mumble, just loud enough for Zach to hear and snicker.