I - Alone

It was an average day. I walked to school, I entered the classroom, I sat down at my desk, then class began. Nothing out of the ordinary. I twirled my pencil in my hand while I waited for our lesson to come to an end, marking the beginning of lunch. The moment the bell rang, I packed my bag and made my way over to my childhood friend, Todoroki Shouto.

"Sho!" I called out, walking towards his desk.
"Hello, Y/N." he replied.
"Come on!" I exclaimed, grabbing his arm and pulling him up from his seat. "They have cold soba today! Your favorite!" I dragged him out of the classroom and into the cafeteria. We retrieved our lunches, talking about how our day had gone as we made our way towards our friends.

"Y/N!" exclaimed Ochaco as she waved towards us. Sho and I took our seats at the table and began eating our lunches. Everything seemed perfectly ordinary. Until my sister walked towards us. She stood facing Sho with a light blush covering her face.
"Yaoyorozu? What are you doing here?" questioned Deku.

"I-I like you!" she exclaimed, the blush deepening. "C-can we date?" My eyes widened as I stared at her in shock. We normally told each other everything, but she never told me this. She never told me she loved Sho too.

"Sure." replied Sho, a small pink tinting his face. Everyone around us began cheering, and me, being the supportive sister I am, cheered with them. I faked a smile and held back tears. That's when it began. The small tightening in my throat that I shouldn't have ignored. I held it back until it was too unbearable. I was suddenly thrown into a coughing fit.

"Excuse me." I croaked out as I ran out of the cafeteria. I rushed into the bathroom and practically flew into a stall. I hung my head over the toilet, my eyes squeezed shut as I continued to cough. Once I had finally stopped, I was greeted with a confusing sight.

Petals?

White petals drifted in the water. I stumbled backwards in shock. It's probably nothing. Someone must have lost control of their quirk back in the cafeteria. I quickly flushed the toilet and exited the bathroom. My eyes widened as the lunch bell rang. I had five minutes to get to class. I picked up my pace and sped down the halls. I managed to reach the classroom just in time. Breathing out a sigh of relief, I made my way towards my desk. Everyone stared at me with worry, but I simply brushed it off. The day continued and ended as usual. I walked towards Sho's desk so we could walk back to the dorms together as usual, but his words froze me.

"Sorry, I'm walking with Momo today." he said. I nodded my head and gave him an understanding smile before turning around and exiting the classroom. Alone.

The walk was silent. I could hear the trees shake in the wind and the birds singing above me. My eyes widened as I began my second fit. I stood there, coughing, for what felt like hours until it was finally over. I stared at the white petals which littered the ground. What does this mean? I continued the walk, trying desperately to brush off this unknown feeling. I walked into the dorm building. I gazed around at the common room. My classmates greeted me as I went, but I didn't feel like speaking today. Instead, I only gave them a kind smile paired with a quick nod. I entered the elevator and went to the second level. I continued my journey down the hall until I reached the door leading to my dorm room. I opened it and carefully shut it behind me. I want to be alone today. I locked the door and collapsed onto my bed with a sigh. The tears I had been holding in flowed out of me. My body shook with every sob. The feeling in my chest tightened and I was slowly finding it harder to breathe. I began coughing yet again. Every second felt like a lifetime as I continued to cough. I lay on my bed, tired and heartbroken as I stared at the white petals. I need to know what's wrong with me. I slowly got up and stumbled towards my desk. I turned on my computer and began my search.

'coughing up petals'

I clicked on the first option that appeared.

"Hanahaki...?" I mumbled, staring at the site in confusion.

"Hanahaki Disease is an illness born from unrequited love, where the patient's throat will fill up with flowers, they will then proceed to throw, and cough up the petals, (sometimes even the flowers). One of the only ways for the disease to disappear is if, the said person returns the feeling (it cant be resolved with friendship, it has to be genuine feelings of love). The infection can also be removed through surgery, though the feelings disappear along with the petals. If they choose neither option, or the feeling is not returned in time, then the patient's lungs will fill up with flowers, and will eventually suffocate."

Tears dripped from my face as I read the paragraph. I didn't want to believe it. I let out a dry laugh as I leaned backwards in my seat and stared at the ceiling. I took a deep breath as I continued to read.

"The length of the disease varies with each person, but on average, it will last up to two or three months. However, those with quirks involving nature, their voice, or even wind may last only a couple weeks."

More tears fell from my eyes as I read. Quirks involving one's voice... I wasn't Momo's biological sister. In fact, I was adopted, meaning I didn't have a quirk similar to that of my family. Instead, my quirk was Siren. It gave me the ability to manipulate people with my voice. I shut off the computer and stumbled back towards my bed. Weeks. How do I want to spend my last few days? I shut my eyes, not bothering to do my homework.

If only I wasn't so willing to die for you.