Chapter 17

Veda cringed at the endearment. She didn't want to change her apartment, and now it looked like she might have to change her college. Asha gripped her hand.

"You know him?" she asked.

"Unfortunately."

"Don't tell me this uncle is your boyfriend," Rishabh mocked her.

Veda didn't respond, and started to walk away with Asha.

"I'm not done with her yet," Rishabh said.

Veda was pissed. All the men around her seemed bent on dancing on her last nerve. She turned around and faced Rishabh.

"Let me tell what's going on here," she said. "You're done with Asha. If you try to go against me, this college will be done with you. My grandmother's on the board of trustees, and the principal happens to be her junior from college. You probably have some money, which is why you're confident. Maybe some influence in Bangalore with the local politicians."

She smirked before continuing. "But know this. You don't have more money than me. And influence... not a chance. I'm giving you a chance to run. You'll take it if you have half a brain."

Rishabh doubted the girl in front of him. It was clear she was rich. But his father knew all the local politicians and police. And she was beautiful. Some risks were worth it. Instead of going away as she told him to, he instead stepped closer and reached out for her arm.

Before Rishabh's hand reached her, Arnav pulled her back and Khushi slammed into him.

"If you touch her," he growled. "I will end you."

"Uncle, this has nothing to do with you."

Arnav let out a breath. He had enough of people calling him uncle. He was just five years older than the boy. Without another thought, he punched the boy square in the face.

***

"This is a first," Principal Wilson said, looking over the five people in his room. Veda was off to the side, her arms crossed and furious at the two men standing in front of him in guilt.

Arnav's suit was wrinkled and his shirt collar torn. His clenched fist was covered in blood, his and Rishabh's. Of the two, he was the one better off. Rishabh's nose was filled with napkins stained red with blood. His shirt and pants were covered in dirt, and he was nursing a nasty bruise on his jaw.

"So if I understand this correctly... Mr. Raizada and Rishabh fought after Rishabh tried to grab Vedanshi. Mr. Raizada says they were ragging you, is that correct Veda?"

Veda nodded.

"Now, this is where it doesn't make sense. Some of the other students said you stopped the fight by- this sounds ridiculous - doing some kung fu of some sort and throwing them both on the ground?"

"Judo, sir," Veda answered.

He looked at the girl again. She couldn't weight more than fifty kilograms, but from the resentful expression on Rishabh's expression he could tell it was the truth.

"We have half-an-hour until your orientation program begins. Let's wrap this before then."

He knew Rishabh was a petty person. Veda couldn't have chosen a worse person to go against in college. Rishabh couldn't have chosen a worse person to target either.

"Rishabh, I know you'll want to press charges of assault against Mr. Raizada. But he was protecting a student against ragging, so the case might be difficult for you. Not to mention, ragging is a criminal offense. If Vedanshi decides to press charges against you, the consequences will be severe."