Fight

Prompt - Robin and Regina argue after she fights against Storybrooke's most recent threat, despite being pregnant.

________________________________

She was used to it, given the fact that it happened after every fight she took part in. Regina would help the so-called heroes, save their lives and defeat the ones who threatened Storybrooke, but everyone would forget about her actions as soon as the fight ended. She did not pay much attention to it at the beginning, because she understood that her journey towards obtaining redemption was going to be tougher than her helping out once.

However, it had been years since she turned to the good side, and she was yet to be invited to the usual celebration after defeating the latest villain. Regina would always be the vital part of the team, and none of their successes would have been possible without her, but as soon as the fight was over, the "heroes" would leave her behind. It was not once that she was left alone bleeding, bruised or even severely injured because everyone seemingly had forgotten about her. Everyone except for Robin, of course. Robin was always there for her.

This time, however, Regina realised she made a mistake by taking part in the fight as soon as the first pulses of magic left her body. Regina promised to him to stay away from anything that could be dangerous, and yet she did not waste a second after realising that her help was needed. She went head first onto the battlefield, ignoring the nagging thoughts that almost yelled at her to shelter herself and her unborn child.

It was the reason Robin did not want her to fight anymore, or even put herself in remotely dangerous situations. Regina was halfway through her pregnancy, but Robin and Henry were the only ones who knew about the child. She was not showing as much as she should have, and her small bump could easily be concealed underneath the uncharacteristically large clothes she had started to wear. It initially started off with Regina wanting to pass the critical 3-month mark, but her fear of something happening to the baby made them delay making the announcement even more.

It was how the argument between Regina and Robin began. When the witch they were fighting sent Regina flying backwards and smashed her into a car, Robin's world seemed to stop. He told her - no, he actually insisted - that she needed to take better care of herself, but she did not seem to pay much attention to him. Robin knew she tended to be reckless when the ones she loved were in danger, but he kept on repeating that she needed to protect herself and their baby as well.

Amazingly enough, Regina got up after crashing into the car, prepared to resume where she left off. She would have went straight back into the fight, had Robin not wrapped his arms around her to keep her in place long enough to snap the magic-stopping cuff around her wrist. He had to manhandle Regina and shove her into the car before he managed to get them both home, but the fight they just left behind was nowhere near the one that was about to begin.

"What were you thinking, Regina? You cannot throw yourself into a battle like that!" Robin argued.
"Do you actually consider it would have been better if I waited on the side?" she bit back.
"Yes, I do! At least for the child you are carrying. That witch blasted her magic at you and sent you flying into a car, how can you imagine I would be alright with that?" Robin yelled.
"Listen, Robin, I am not some damsel in distress, and I most certainly do not need you to lecture me on what I should or should not do," she screamed.

Regina waited for a moment, uncertain of what to do, before turning around and walking out the door, leaving a dumbfounded Robin behind. She knew he was right, she should have been taking better care of herself. The realisation that she endangered their child instantly made her retreat into herself in order to deal with the repercussions the way she was used to - alone.

"Miss Swan?" Regina asked as she entered Granny's Diner.
As expected, the entire city was begging to gather for a celebratory dinner, one she was not invited to.
"Regina, I completely forgot..." Emma managed to say before the brunette spoke again.
"You forgot about me, I know, there is no need to rub it in my face any further. May I speak to you in private?" Regina asked, carefully eyeing the ones around them.
"Yeah, I suppose you can," Emma said, standing from her seat and directing Regina towards the back of the diner.

The pair reached the furthest booth from the door, but Emma made no move to sit down again before Regina did. She seemed awfully pale and, as much as Emma pretended not to care, she could see the way Regina was trying to hide the pain she was in.

"Regina?" Emma asked for the third time, panicking when she realised that the older woman had trouble focusing.
"Robin and I had a fight," Regina admitted with a small, defeated voice.
Emma was not quite sure how to handle the situation, mostly because it was the first time the mayor had ever trusted her with something so personal. However, Regina continued talking, sparing her from having to come up with an answer to the sudden self-disclosure.
"He was right and I did not react well, but I have left the house and do not plan on going back tonight. Is there any chance you can put me up for the night?" Regina asked.

"You really don't look well, Regina," Emma said before enveloping them in a white cloud of magic.

Before Regina understood what was happening, they were in Emma's house, in the living room. The sudden movement caused her stomach to churn violently, so she bolted for the room she truly hoped was the bathroom. Moments later, Regina was emptying her stomach while Emma paced nervously around her.
"Will you tell me what on Earth is going on?" Emma asked with an exasperated sigh.
"It hurts," was all Regina managed to say before slumping back against the wall. The only movements coming from her were the soothing circles she was rubbing right next to her hipbone, towards her abdomen.
When Robin took her home, the adrenaline kept her from feeling the pain, but as soon as she reached the diner, all sorts of aches took over her body. Her head was pounding, causing her vision to blur, she was slightly shaking and her stomach continued to do somersaults.

Seeing her when she leaned back against the wall, Emma noticed the barely-there bump on Regina's abdomen.
"Regina? Are you... Are you pregnant?" Emma's eyes went wide in shock.
Nodding weakly, Regina grunted at the dizziness that came with the movement.

"Robin was right and I did not know how to react, so I just left. It is just that... I do not know what to do when someone tries to take care of me, so I lashed out. I was impulsive and endangered our baby by joining you in the fight," Regina spilled out.
"Alright, we need to take you to Dr. Whale. I'll call Robin on the way. No matter what you think right now, he wants be there for you and this kid, so I won't let your big-ass ego keep him away."
Regina only remembered letting out a fragile "thank you" and feeling Emma haul her in her arms so they could get to the hospital. Somewhere along those lines, Regina's body decided to spare her the pain and she lost consciousness.

When she woke up, Regina was in a hospital room, with Robin next to her. He seemed to have fallen asleep, but his fingers were still threading gently through her hair.
"Robin?" she winced at how raspy her voice sounded.
He stirred next to her, taking a moment before he actually woke up.
"Regina, you are awake," he said.
She did not have time to reply before he hugged her even closer, whispering apologies into her hair. Even though she was wrong, he was still the one who took it upon himself to comfort her.

"How is the baby?" she managed to ask.
"Whale said something about your blood pressure being too high, so that was why you were feeling sick. The baby is fine, nothing happened, somehow," he said.
"I am sorry, Robin. I am sorry for fighting with you, even though I should not have, and I am sorry for putting all of us through this," Regina said.
"What is important is that we are alright now, you are here and both of you are well. Everything will be alright. Just, stop pulling away from me, let me help," he said while bringing her closer to him.