Chapter 8 -The Envy Game

"Are you ready?" Leighton said after school on Monday. She carefully lifted the box out from her back pack.

The girls sat in a circle in the back yard of Ariana's old house.

It was 22:30 and the garden was dark.

"Let's do it." Fallon picked up the candle. She took the tape recordings out and put them in the centre of the circle. "Brooklyn do you have the camera?"

Brooklyn nodded.

In silence, Fallon took Sarah's hand. She held the flame of the candle on her skin.

Sarah tightly closed her eyes in order to not shriek in pain.

The flame went off straight away. All that was on her hand now was a Bright red burn.

Fallon shook her head and turned to Hazel.

Reluctantly, she held her hand out. The flame imminently went off. Hazel was relieved.

Bravely, Leigh held out her hand. She got a bad painful burn and her skin went yellow around the area where Fallon put the flame. But the flame went off too.

Fallon took Brooklyn's hand. It was either her or Fallon now. She pressed the candle to her palm. But when she took the candle away it went off.

Fallon gasped. She was burning inside. She couldn't believe that she would become the victim of Ariana's little game.

She knew she must be Envious.

She looked at the others. Their faces were still. None of them dared to look at her, they probably knew what she felt.

Becoming Envious in the game Ariana basically created, was like a slap in the face. She felt humiliated.

Leighton was right, playing this game did make it seen like she was with them. It felt as if she was sitting right there only watching them play. And laughing satisfied, that Fallon was envious... of her.

Fallon held the candle to her palm. It burned her skin. She took the candle away from her hand and stood it on the ground.

The flame was still there, burning clearly. She almost shreeked. But the surprising thing was it didn't hurt. Not at all.

She looked closely at the little flame burning out on the palm of her hand.

She looked at the others and smiled. She could see the reflection of the flame dancing in their eyes.

They were impressed. She managed to make the best out of the situation.

Fallon wins again.

"This is how you play the envy game, girls." She whispered. "I should know because I'm Envious."

The other girls smiled.

She blew out the flame with one breath. Like candles on a birthday cake.

"What should my challenge be?" She asked.

Suddenly Sarah and Leigh gasped. Hazel screamed. Brooklyn got up and looked as if she was about to run away.

Something had moved in the hedge.

"Shhh!" Fallon put her finger on her lips. She picked up a stick and started slowly walking to where the hedge moved.

The girls followed along after her, hiding behind one another.

Then a shadow ran across the garden, behind them.

"Oh my god! Did you just see that?" Sarah screamed.

"Someone's in that shed..." Fallon picked up the candle.

She slammed the shed door open.

They all gasped.

The shed was empty. There was a a big hole broken inside the wooden, back wall. A whole tile had been ripped off in order for the person to escape.

They Fallon wearing walked into the shed.

"That's how you play the Envy Game, girls."

"Oh my god who just said that?" Hazel screamed.

"Not me!"

"Not me either!"

"Oh god I want to go already!" Sarah whispered.

"It sounded like..." Brooklyn's voice trailed off.

"Like Ariana." Fallon said keeping her eyes fixated on the hole in the back wall of the shed.

"It was Ariana..." once Hazel said it she regretted it. "It wasn't. She's..."

The others all turned her heads and gave her a strange icy look that said, just shut up.

"You know..." she finished and looked down.