SHE'S A JOCK

Except Venus didn't.

Alex was left crouching over the filly's withers, watching a bunch of hindquarters race away from them. Venus balked, her ears twitching frantically. She held her head high.

Alex urged her forward with her hands and seat, begging her to go, but some strange stage fright ensnared the filly.

"C'mon, baby," Alex called, using her body again to try to shake the filly out of it. "You've done this a hundred times at home."

It seemed useless, and the field was already approaching the far turn.

Alex bit her lip, her hands tightening on the reins. "I hate to do this." She winced and brought her whip down on the filly.

Venus shot forward like she'd been stung by a bee.

Alex was thrown back in the saddle, bouncing awkwardly. Three or four jumps and she got up in the irons. She hated using force, but what choice did she have?

Venus practically took the bit between her teeth and bolted, running wildly toward the other horses. Alex got as low as she could, curled up tight like Brooke's grandfather had taught her, like the jockeys of old.

Venus charged manically, seeming to catch up to the field without effort. Her mane whipped Alex's face, stinging like thistles. Alex grit her teeth, swinging the filly out around the field, doing her best to avoid traffic. Her filly breathed like a freight train.

An opening between horses near the front appeared as the fourth placed runner swung out. Alex pulled Venus in, diving for the hole. Clods of dirt sprayed around them, needling their faces. Alex winced. Right when they had gotten a good position, Venus seemed to settle— or run out of steam.

Alex groaned. "Come on, girl, hustle!"

She let her filly eye the competition, but there was no get up and go left. Alex had made the wrong call in the gate. Typical new girl move. She wanted to head-desk herself.

The finish pole flashed by, and it was over.

Alex rose in the stirrups, easing Venus Nights from her crazy gallop. She grit her teeth, bouncing with the erratic stride. She couldn't fault the horse. That one had been all her. She wasn't even sure where they finished.

Alex turned them back toward the grandstand where Brooke was waiting to collect them. Alex swung free from the irons, untacking Venus to weigh out. She didn't even give Brooke a passing glance, or Carol or Dejado either. Too shook up from her mistake. Even as she stepped on the scale, Alex replayed the race ten, twenty times in her head.

The clerk gave her a nod that she was good to go, and Alex strode back to the jockey's room. She spiked her whip into her locker and tore off her silks, flinging them into a hapless pile.

What could she have done differently? Would it have mattered if they never left the gate, and tried again on a different day?

She dropped her head into her hands, rubbing her face in frustration. Dirt flaked into her palms. She took a moment to reassess. At least it wasn't as bumper-car as her first trial ride a few months ago. This time, she had stayed mostly out of traffic. It was a clean run.

But how would Venus come out of it with that whip lashing at the start?

Alex groaned, rose, and finished changing. She washed her face and took care of her equipment properly, then headed to the backside barns where North Oak was stabling its horses.

When she arrived, Venus was receiving a bath. Her hide looked almost indigo beneath the ripples of water as she danced in the sunshine. She lipped the chain, trying to play with and toss it.Alex glanced briefly in the direction of the shedrow where Carol and Dejado were leaning against a wall separating the stalls from anyone passing by. Their heads were bent low together, talking quietly. A flutter agitated Alex's stomach. She had feelings for both of them, but wasn't ready to get too close after being raped by Brad Hopkins last October. That was another bout she'd been fighting; the aftermath of it all.She exhaled a long breath between her lips, walking up to Brooke with her hands shoved into her jean pockets. "Hey."Brooke smiled. "Hey."Alex couldn't help glancing back at Carol and Dejado who waved at her. She waved half-heartedly back. "How is she?" Alex asked, wanting to reach toward Venus Nights.Brooke passed the lead shank and a dry rag to Alex, moving to put the bucket of water and sponge away. "Came out fine. Legs are good."Alex tucked her lips, hesitating to touch Venus. The filly raised her head and eyed her warily. Great, Alex thought. Venus got a hold of the chain on her lead and twirled it like a kid. Alex stepped up to her to dry her off, only to get whacked in the forehead with the chain.She grimaced, bracing her palm against her head. "I guess I deserved that."Brooke chuckled.Venus seemed to shy away when Alex finally reached out, only making Alex feel worse. Like she'd psychologically ruined her baby. Venus gave her that same wary stare again, and Alex knew that this kid would need therapy someday. Brooke shoved Venus' butt back over, out of the way. "You gonna help or stand there?" Brooke asked.Alex sighed. "You sound like Pop."Carol and Dejado walked over, offering to take the lead shank for them. "We'll hold her," Dejado said with a warm smile.His gaze on Alex sent her heart a thump-a-thumpin'. Meanwhile, Carol cooed at Venus, who arced her neck and lipped Carol's nose. Carol giggled, and Alex's heart went in two— one way up, and the other way down.Alex swallowed hard, and finally got her hands on Venus. She rubbed her until she was silky dry again, while Brooke wrung out the filly's tail.Things got quiet while they worked, and Alex felt like some Jurassic creature of epic proportion had wandered onto the backside. She knew Brooke would have a thing or two to say in private about the ride. Dejado led Venus back to her stall with Brooke's approval, and the girls were left in the afternoon sun staring after them. "Sooo..." Alex said awkwardly, her eyes settled on the filly's hide.Brooke headed off. "We'll talk later."Alex rubbed the back of her neck, grimacing. She figured as much. She almost jumped when Carol squeezed her shoulder."That was so cool!"Alex looked at her from the corner of her eyes. Carol's freckled cheeks blossomed. "My bestie, the jockey."Alex tried to smile, but that came awkwardly too. "Wasn't my greatest moment."Carol slid her arm around Alex's shoulders, and hugged her close. "Hey. Don't beat yourself up. You have your whole career for greatness. Pace yourself."Alex shrugged.Carol tugged her away from the barns. "Let's get lunch."