«8»

Once I look at you
for a moment,
I can't speak
any longer.

================================

Avia slowly opened up the door to her room, Delilah right behind her.

"Come on." Avia said, leaving the door open for Delilah. Delilah's eyes widened.

"Beds!" She quickly jumped on the bottom bunk. Avia smiled.

"It's been a while." She said. Delilah gasped in realization.

"My bag! I forgot my bag back at base!" She quickly got up. Avi sat down on her bed.

"We'll go in the morning. It's too late now." Avia said. Delilah frowned.

"But there aren't a lot of walkers near out base." Delilah said, shrugging.

"People, Dee. Most of them come out at night." She replied. Avia let out a sigh and shook her head. "Get some rest. We might have to do some work tomorrow." She said, running her fingers through her hair. Delilah crossed her arms.

"Work?" She whined. "I don't wanna work, Avi!" Delilah lied down on her bed, kicking her feet up in the arm. Avia frowned.

"Just... sleep!" Avia said, raising her voice a bit. She lied down on her bed, and closed her eyes.
What did they do to Delilah? She wasn't this bratty before. Maybe I made the wrong decision? She thought to herself. Whatever. Dee just might be tired. She always used to get angry whenever she was tired. Avi rolled over to face the wall, slowly falling asleep.

She woke up to Delilah shaking her awake, her eyes wide with fear.

"Get up! Avi, get up! I heard a gun shot!" She whispered. Avia quickly jumped up, running for the door. They ran down the hall and stopped in front of the door. Delilah peered out the window and gasped. Avia walked over and looked out.

"Marlon.." she whispered as she looked at his body lying lifeless on the ground. Clementine looked at AJ, who was holding a gun. Delilah back away.

"Is he?" She looked up at Avia. Avia opened the door.

"What the hell is going on?!" She yelled. Everyone looked over at her. Delilah peeked out from behind her, using Avi as a shield as she stared at AJ. Louis shook his head and headed for the door, pushing Avi as he walked past.

"AJ killed him..." Delilah whispered, covering her mouth. Avia nodded, but then quickly shook her head.

"It was an... accident." She whispered back. Clementine walked over to AJ. Mitch came over to Clementine. Those two went into an argument. Delilah sobbed quietly.

"I wanna go... I wanna go... I wanna go!" She cried. Avia got down to her level and pulled her into a hug.

"It's hard, Delilah." She grabbed her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. "You have to get used to it. You HAVE to. I can't hide you from any of this anymore. No one can. It's how it's got to be now. It'll never change." She looked around. "Even if this whole thing stops, we'll never change." Avia got up. Delilah covered her face. Avi ushered her inside. "Go get some rest. I'll go find Louis." She said. Delilah walked back to their room, looking down at the floor, trailing her feet behind her.

Avia opened the door to the piano room. Louis wasn't there. She looked over at the window, which was cracked open. The rain hit the glass softly. Avia walked over and frowned. A walker could easily open up the window and crawl in. She tried shutting the window, but it wouldn't budge. After struggling for a few minutes, someone came in. She turned around and spotted Ruby, crossing her arms.

"Oh, hey Ruby. What's up?" Avi asked. Ruby looked down, then sighed.

"AJ shot Marlon." She said. "He's... gone." Ruby's eyes teared up. Avia cleared her throat. "And if you're wondering, no, Louis isn't coping very well." She choked out.

"Well... umm, do you know where he is?" Avia looked down at her boots. Ruby paused.

"No. But you better head to bed. We're holding a funeral for Marlon- and Brody tomorrow." She said, walking out. Avi froze.

Marlon AND Brodie? What the hell happened? Avia thought to herself. She took one last glance at the window before leaving the piano room.

Avia awoke the next morning from the sun shining in her eyes. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, yawning. Delilah was still sleeping. Avi walked over to her bed, but then stopped.

"I should probably let her sleep." Avia whispered to herself. The bookshelf caught her eye. It only had five books, four of which that were dictionaries. Only one was actually readable. She walked over to the books and picked it up. "The Reeds. Huh. Sounds familiar." She said to herself.

There was a knock at the door.