||2||

As inspiring as Tyler's words were, Jonathan realised how awkward it would be to knock on his neighbour's door. Hi man-I've-never-spoken-to, I didn't hear you singing when I was showering this morning, so I thought I'd come and check if you're okay.

He nearly laughed at his thoughts outside his neighbour's door and was about to walk back to his own apartment when he heard a chesty cough through the door. It developed into a coughing fit and didn't cease for a whole ten seconds, by the end of which a very concerned Jonathan wondered how the guy's lungs hadn't come up too. It was then that he decided to knock, his unease taking the better of him.

The sound echoed and he could hear shuffling behind the door as the inhabitant made their way to greet him. The door swung open to who Jonathan expected: the Asian man he often saw leaving. Except his usual air of happiness was replaced by clear exhaustion as he was hunched over, his eyes displaying dark circles under them. Despite his ill-being, the man was still clearly muscular, his t-shirt taut against his body, his short sleeves just cutting off what Jonathan could see was a tattoo of an owl.

The man was clearly surprised to see Jonathan, as his eyebrows raised for a fraction of a second before he let out another cough, lifting his arm over his mouth, unable to hold the cough in. He held up a hand as if apologising and Jonathan laughed awkwardly.

"Um... hi. I live next door, I moved in about a month ago. I was concerned because I er.... heard you coughing. Just wanted to make sure you were okay." He looked down at the ground and scratched the back of his head nervously, unsure as to whether the man bought his lie. When he heard no reply he looked back up and the man was smiling lopsidedly. He pointed to his throat and made a gesture that Jonathan could just about decipher the meaning of.

"You've lost your voice?"

He was rewarded with a nod and a wave into the apartment. He followed the man, shutting the door behind him, and was met with a home as beautiful as its resident and his voice.

Light grey walls enclosed the apartment and as Jonathan went to sit on the couch, he took in the large TV that swallowed one wall in the living room. He noticed that the guy had been watching cartoons and he lowered the volume as he sat on the other couch, facing Jonathan.

Jonathan cleared his throat, unsure of what to do now. He didn't have to talk to cover the silence though, as his companion then burst into another fit of coughs. Jonathan didn't hesitate as he ran to the kitchen, grabbing the guy a cool glass of water. He walked back quickly, holding it out to him. The man looked up at Jonathan and mouthed 'thanks' as he took the water, downing it. The proceeding silence made Jonathan grin awkwardly. The man raised his eyebrows, evidently wondering what was so funny.

Jonathan explained himself. "I just... It's funny that I'm technically in a stranger's house, just, for no reason really, and I- I don't really know why that's funny." He started to laugh, a uniquely contagious sound that echoed in the small apartment and caused the guy to erupt into silent laughter, his shoulders shaking. They laughed until they cried, and though Jonathan had no clue why they were laughing, he didn't want to stop.

When they did finally stop, he wiped his tears from his face and huffed a sigh. "I'm Jonathan, by the way. I forgot to tell you." He looked up at the man, who was looking back intently, a smile stretching his face. He pointed to himself and mouthed 'Evan'. He got up and put his hand out to Jonathan who tilted his head back to look him in the face before shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you, Evan."

The rest of the day played out in a way Jonathan would have never imagined. He thought he'd leave Evan's apartment almost as soon as he got there, but after Evan handed him a PlayStation 4 controller, they were both absorbed in the TV in front of them for hours. They talked throughout their gameplay - well, Jonathan did, and Evan would react with a smile or a grimace according to how he felt. They both fell about laughing all too often as one made a stupid mistake in-game or when Jonathan said something particularly amusing. It was weird to them both how quickly and how well they got along, despite having met hours before and only one of them being able to talk.

When it started to get late, Jonathan stretched his arms over his head. "Hey Evan, I think I'm going to get going now." He received a pout in return and laughed. "I don't work tomorrow so I'll come back then, if you'll have me?" Evan smiled widely and nodded his head. Jonathan got up off the couch and Evan followed suit, pulling Jonathan into a hug. Jonathan, surprised, returned it, wrapping his arms around Evan's back. They both pulled away, far too quickly for Jonathan's liking, but he shot Evan a smile. "See you tomorrow loser!" He called, before heading back to his.