Chapter Three

"Is she yours, Sir?" Joe Jr asked, his eyes twinkling just a bit as he eyed the inside of the truck with wonder.

"Nope. I'm just borrowing her," Nate replied, his fingers reaching out to wipe away an imaginary dirt spot on the hood.

"She sure is pretty."

Nate smiled down at him. He would've said the same thing when he was the boy's age. A good truck was the answer to man's problems in this place.

"You wanna start her up for me?" he asked, pulling the keys out of his pocket and holding them up for him to see. Joe Jr looked up at him in surprise, his brown eyes wide with anticipation.

"Really?" he breathed in awe.

"Sure, you know how, don't you?"

"Yes, Sir!" the boy announced proudly. "My daddy showed me once."

"Well, how about you show me then," Nate replied as he climbed into the driver's seat and helped Joe Jr onto his lap. He handed him the keys and pointed to the ignition. "Just slide them in and turn it away from you," he instructed as he pressed his foot on the gas. The boy did as he was told and the truck roared to life, the engine purring like a content cat.

That was when Emily reached them.

"What are you doin'!" she cried as she stood at the driver's side, hands on her hips and her feet shoulder length apart as she eyed Nate angrily.

"The boy's helping me start my truck," he said simply.

"Joe Jr, you get down out of that truck this instant," she stated smartly, pointing to the ground. Joe Jr was quick to move. He knew better than to tangle with his mother, especially when she was upset, which wasn't very often. She ruffled his hair when he stood beside her. "Go and get in the truck and see that Louise is belted in." She pointed to their truck and once he was gone, she lit into Nate.

"Don't you ever do anythin' like that again!" she snapped sharply.

"What's the big deal, he just turned the key." His voice was smooth and meant to be soothing, but it only made Emily angrier.

"Just leave my children alone, alright," she argued. "They're not part of this deal of ours." She knew it was cold and looked down at the ground for a moment, feeling a whip of shame fall over her, but it passed quickly. She didn't have the time or space to care for this stranger's feelings. She had herself and her babies to think about.

"Fine," he snapped, shoving his ball cap back down on his head and slamming his truck door shut.

When Emily spit gravel as she pulled the truck out of her mama's driveway, Nate was quick to do the same. No woman told him what he could and couldn't do. Besides, what had he done that was so wrong in the first place? Nothing, as far as he could see.

"This is going to be a long two weeks," he muttered to himself as he followed her down the road towards their home.

##

When they pulled up the windy gravel drive to the rancher house, there was a man standing on the porch, his hands on his hips as he looked out at them from under the rim of his black cowboy hat. The first thought that occurred to Nate was that it was Emily's long-lost husband come home but, as he watched her get out of her truck and wave to him casually, he knew he was wrong.

The two men assessed each other as Nate drew nearer, his leather bag in hand at his side. Jake's eyes dropped to it momentarily and then raised back to Nate's eyes. Emily sent the children inside before she turned and introduced them to each other.

"Nate, Jake. Jake, Nate," she said curtly with a wave of her hand. She was still upset with Nate. Her next thought was, why? Why was she so upset? Maybe because she'd never seen anyone else do what Nate had done with Joe Jr but his father. Or maybe it was because of what her mama had said, and now she was realizing just what she had done. Letting a complete stranger into her home? Was she crazy? But Sal seemed to like him. And she trusted Sal. It would be all right. Besides, she needed the help and she couldn't ask Jake. Well, she could, but she wouldn't.