Chapter Five

The next morning, he awoke to a soft knock at his door.

"Yes?" he called as he jumped up from the bed, his eyes scanning for his jeans to pull on as he clutched the sheets to his body. What time was it? Had he slept in?

"My mama told me to tell you that breakfast is ready," Joe Jr called through the door.

Nate stilled and straightened up. "I'll be right down."

He listened as the footsteps moved away from the door before dropping the bed sheets and getting dressed. Running a hand through his hair, and wishing that he'd had a chance to shower, he turned away from the full-length mirror in his room and hurried down the stairs.

Joe Jr and Louise were already seated at the table waiting patiently to eat, while Emily stood at the stove, flipping the pancakes onto an empty plate. She smiled at Nate when she set the plate on the table.

"You sleep okay?" she asked over her shoulder as she retrieved a fresh pot of coffee.

"Like a baby," he replied, holding up his cup for her.

She sat down between Joe Jr and Louise and they each took hold of the other's hands. Joe Jr held out his hand to Nate and Nate took it. Then he felt another little hand on his. Louise. Her eyes were closed tightly but her little hand clung to his fiercely while Emily prayed a blessing over the food.  Nate closed his eyes until she was finished, and they all said 'amen'. He couldn't remember the last time he'd prayed for anything.

"I'll take the kids to school and when I get back, I'll give you a tour of the ranch and show you what needs to be fixed if that's alright with you."

Nate shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "You're the boss."

"Good."

##

Emily was true to her word and, thirty minutes later, she returned to show him the ranch.

"We can take the truck, or we can take the horses. Which do you prefer?"

"I haven't ridden in a long time," he said thoughtfully.

"No time like the present," Emily said with a smirk.

He grinned and nodded. He waved his hand for her to lead on, following her as she headed for the small stables.

She paused at each stall, listing off names and stats on the horses inside. There were four in total, all beautiful to Nate. He loved horses. That was one of the things that he missed most back in Hollywood. The only horse he knew back there was Mr. Ed and he wasn't around anymore. Nobody rode horses in Hollywood.

"I think I'll get you to ride Puck. He's a good horse but he needs a strong hand, and without Joe here to ride him, he doesn't get out much." She motioned towards the stall that housed a giant, black horse that snorted loudly as they moved towards him.

Nate's eyebrow rose at that. A strong hand? What did that mean exactly? "Is that good or bad?" he asked.

She chuckled. "For you, it's perfect," she replied with a roll of her eyes. "Besides, Daisy is probably much too soft for you, and Rocky is too small. And I always ride Mac. He and I have an understanding," she explained.

"Are you sure?" Nate eyed the horse called Mac nervously. The chocolate brown stallion didn't look nice enough to let any woman ride him, and he stood as tall as Puck. But Emily only waved away his concerns as she mounted Mac. And Mac was more than happy to accommodate her, following her lead without hesitation.

Nate was impressed. This woman surprised him with her small frame and huge confidence. He shrugged his shoulders as if there was no help for it and hoisted himself onto Puck. Puck danced a bit under Nate's weight and then settled in, sensing he was in good hands.