Day 2: Experimentation

Log 5

6:45 am

July 24, 20XX

I entered the sphere with a fresh mind today. Because the only source of light available was a dim monitor, I had to carry a flashlight around. I was only able to put the flashlight away when I found some buttons on the wall below the screen. I pushed the button that resembled a light bulb, turning on all the lights in the sphere. If this is from the future, then I guess some things are just perfect the way they are now.

Bracing myself, I pushed another button that looked like a camera. Pressing it changed the display on the monitor from 21XX to the warehouse outside of the sphere. More time will be required for me to determine the functions of each button and switch.

Log 6

7:06 am

July 24, 20XX

One of the switches camouflages the sphere so that it can remain undetected. No other special functions has been noted from the other keys thus far.

Log 7

7:19 am

July 24, 20XX

I believe to have figured out how to operate this time machine. Yes, it is indeed a time machine. When I pushed the only black button, the entirety of the sphere was instantly transported into a new location. When I looked at the screen that displayed what was in front of the sphere, I just saw black. Pitch black. It was as if I no longer existed. I was separate from time itself. When I pushed it again, I was back in the warehouse as if I was never gone. I believe in order to travel through time with this machine, I must go to this dark dimension, then select the time and place I would like to go to. However, this alone is a hypothesis, and every great hypothesis must undergo testing.

Log 8

10:13 am

July 24, 20XX

In order to test my theory, I decided to write a short note for myself. Once I had it ready, I went back into the 'time sphere' and traveled back to the dark dimension. Now that I was in the dark dimension, I put in the time and date of 1:00 am this morning. The sphere appeared right next to the warehouse, so that's where I parked it. I turned on the switch to camouflage it and walked out, leaving the door open. Next, I used my keycard to get inside and taped the note behind my desktop computer, a spot I wouldn't check normally. The deed was done, so I went back to the sphere and returned to my time

I got back and, once again, it was as if I never left. I went over to my computer and found the note saying 'It worked.' It was just like that I proved that traveling to the past does not create a parallel universe. It was this fact that worried me.

Log 9

2:34 pm

July 24, 20XX

I spent the rest of the day writing down the rules of time travel, attempting to determine how the time sphere even works and, most importantly, trying to focus on my work. But I just couldn't stop thinking about it. About her. I now have the means to save her. My dear wife, killed by a drunk driver. It'd be so easy to go back and stop it from happening. I don't even have to interact with her, I could just break her tires so that she can't even leave the house that day. But what will the consequences of such an action be? The risk isn't worth taking, yet I am compelled to do it. I am no longer suitable for this job. Already, I know this is going to be another sleepless night.