2- staring at you staring at me

Eileen to the side

Eileen:

The next morning was weird. I had this odd dream, something about being chased by the hot, bad boy, boxer Emmet. That had to be a dream right? I mean he's my opposite, and he doesn't even talk to anyone. Not even the teachers.

Shaking it off like as a bad dream I got up to shower and begin my morning routine. A sore ache inflamed in my calves like I had been running. I was trying to shrug it off like I had the dream, but what if it wasn't a dream? wait, thinking back to last night that's all I remember. leaving the warehouse, heading for the bus, hearing the fight, getting caught, and running like my life depended on it. probably because out did, I took a deep breath of steam from the scalding hot shower water. I'll spare you the clean details of my shower out of curticy.

wrapping the towel securely around my figure, I walked out and pulled open my armoire. pulling out a pair of comfortable skinny Jeans, a tank top, and an navy over shirt. tied the laces on my hightops, and tied up my hair in a messy but secure bun. pulling a loose strand of my side bang behind my ear. my make up, often took a lot longer to do.

I don't like my face, so I wear more make up than I need. I'm honest about my insecurities, I feel ugly, and over weight. but I don't let people know that's what I believe. I put on extra lengthening mascara, concealer, foundation, blush, eye shadow to accent my hazel beown eyes.

after doing so, I made my way down stairs. a third of the way down, I heard his voice. "how long does out take her? I mean this is absurd!", my father was down stairs, why was he downstairs? my dad is always at work by 7 AM sharp, why was today different?

I was so wrapped up In my thoughts I had missed a step. my feet flew out from beneath me and I tumbled down the last steps of the staircase.

my mother let out a frightened gasp, and my father merely sat in his recliner, unimpressed. "leave her, Joanne." my mom sent a guilty look my way, before returning to the kitchen. I pushed myself to my feet, using the rail as a support. "morning dad, what are you doing home?", I asked. I hadn't seen him yet, but I knew that once he was in view I would have an answer. and I was right.

I stepped into the open kitchen, looking at my dad. dark under eyes, glass of water and two aspirin tablets with the blinds shut. he was nursing a hangover, it was obvious. "oh, just partied a little too hard with the boys last night, is all", he said, a warm smile on his face. but it didn't seem warm, it seemed like an empty smile. one that said "stop asking questions". so I did, just like I was supposed to. I looked at my mother, she was antsy, and had overdone it with the makeup again. she was a wreck and wasn't great at hiding it. because my father had come home drunk, and he's always rowdy when he's drunk. I'm just lucky he didn't pop into my room to say goodnight.

wanting to get as far away from my dad as possible, I scarfed down my breakfast, and ran out despite the ache in my calves.

The cold was nipping at my nose, my fingers froze enough to make them clumsy and useless. It was December 3, and it was freezing In East Hartford, Connecticut. You could see other seniors with parka's and scarfs.

I had left so quickly I had forgotten to grab a jacket when I left. I was freezing, and because the library was full, I couldn't come inside. So I leaned against a wall, rubbing my arms, trying to use my cold fumbly fingers to text my two best friends Kaightlin and Angeline.

"Eily!", called a voice. I sighed and put my head down, "Angeline, how many times?! ", Angeline is a sweet girl, but if there's anything she loves more, its getting on peoples nerves. And if there's one thing I hate, its the annoying nickname she branded me with. "782 times to go before you get a new one, Eily. Or you can just give me 20 bucks and I can think one up now", Angie claimed. I couldn't help but let out an amused laugh.

"Like that's gonna happen, I'm broker than Mr. John. ", (Mr. John played poker with a junior last year and lost all his money. His wife left him for the plastic surgeon next door after they lost their house). "Hahaha, that's awesome", Angie laughed so hard she had to lean on the wall. People around us stared like she was mental, but I just sighed again and turned to find Kaightlin.

th

"Eileen my girl!", called out Kaightlin. She was shorter than me, but had a lot bigger of a personality. She was glamorous, opinionated, risky, and rebellious. And also my complete opposite. But somehow. We became unbelievably close. "What's up with her?", Kaightlin nodded towards Angeline. I shrugged, "I made a joke about Mr. John".

"Oh, of course. Hey, did you do the homework for Kates?", Kaightlin could never do the math home work. Angeline slapped her arm, she hates cheaters, she was very smart girl and knew it. "Kaightlin, you know how I feel about cheating", Angie exclaimed. Kaightlin pulled away at the sudden physical abuse, shrugging. " Well it's not like I had time to do it. I was a little busy on a date with Jack McAlister". while the two continued to bicker, I pulled out the math homework, placing it on the table we now Sat at, right in front of Katy.

there bickering was a daily tradition. if they didn't you would know something serious was going on. I looked around campus, scanning the crowd, people watching. I was bored, and cold. at least today I wasn't hungry, most mornings, I just had something small, like an Apple.

our school was just like the ones in the movies, all the different clubs. which sucked, but at least you know where you stand on the popularity scale. people like Saralynn Macy Grey, were at the top. involved in every club on campus, acting, and uses knowing your better. dating any guy they want because they can. I've been told I could get a good looking guy if I wanted to, but I don't really plan on dating anytime soon. things at home are still tense, and I don't know how long it'll be until things get better, if they ever do.

from where I stood, I could see Saralynn and the popular kids, the A.V. film makers, and the year book class. finally the East Hartford High rebels, A. K. A. the bad boys of Hartford High. Which included Emmet Ryker, the ring leader. Royce Jake, his right hand man. and Andrew Lackerton, the newest addition. he moved here first semester. he was quite antisocial, and awkward. rumors say he doesn't talk much.

I could watch the students all day. their daily life seemed so much more interesting than my own. Emmet and his boy's were sitting together, Royce and Andrew seemed chill like they always do. but Emmet seemed on edge, he kept running a hand through his dark hair, cracking his knuckles. he had this nervous, antsy, almost angry expression on his face. after remembering what happened last night, I would be too. suddenly his Brown eyes snapped up to meet mine, his expression I couldn't read. I felt my cheeks burn, and I looked away, watching my friends bicker. after a few moments I looked back to the rebel band. only to find Emmet continuing to stare. I jumped despite myself, but didn't look away this time, and neither did he. I really began to get scared when he whispered to his friends then stood and walked in my direction.

he was half way to the table before the school bell rang. I let out a breath I didn't know if been holding. thinking that he would turn to get his bag. but alas, life still was not on my side. I snatched my bag and clamped my other hand down on Kaightlin's arm. keeping it in a solid death grip to our 1st hour class. just before entering Mr. Dalengers classroom, she pulled me away.

"okay, did that just really happen?", her face was flushed, as if she were shocked.

"what? what are you on about now?", I asked, because although this was unlike her, she threw things out of proportion all to often. even if I didn't know what she was talking about, I was sure she was over reacting.

"oh, you know. just Emmet Ryker staring at you"