fifteen

Dallon waits patiently for a response, looking at the stairs repeatedly. His phone buzzes and makes a small noise, indicating that he has gotten a response.

cellulloidheroes: I think he is bothered by this video

celluloidheroes: [sent a post]

Dallon clicks on it, heart sinking. It's a video of when he met up with Ryan, more specifically the moment of him grabbing Ryan's hand. Oh. Oh no.

Brendon appears in front of Dallon as he walks over and grabs his glass, drinking some water.

"Brendon, about this video..." He turns the phone around towards Brendon, who tenses.

"Don't stress about it, I've already seen it. I'm, uh... I'm happy for you two," Brendon says, looking down.

"It's not—"

"Dallon, it's fine."

"No, it isn't!" Dallon suddenly yells, shocking and confusing both of them. "Just listen to me for once!"

"What do you mean for once?!" Brendon says, now feeling offended. "I always listen to you!"

"No, that's not-—"

"No, no, don't try to say that's not what you meant, you said it! Since when did I not listen?! Yeah, maybe I don't listen, but you don't talk to me!"

"Only because you don't talk to me!" Dallon defends himself.

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't seem to think you'd actually care about me! Tell me, why did you save me, huh?! And don't give me that there's so many reasons excuse, we both know you were just stalling to think of an actual reason!"

"You're kidding, right?!"

"Does it look like I'm kidding?!" Brendon shouts, tears in his eyes. He's scared, not that he will let Dallon know. "Oh my God, I know why."

Dallon tenses. "Okay, I'm—"

"You're only helping me because no one else wants to." Dallon stares at him in disbelief and shock.

"What...?"

"Spencer and Luke don't want to deal with me, that's why you are, huh?! It makes so much sense now, why they sent us here alone, why neither of them have texted me that often, I'm just here because everyone's tired of me, huh?!"

"Brendon, the video isn't what you think it is! Luke and Spencer sent us here alone because—" Dallon stops. Everything that Brendon is suspicious of isn't about them not liking him, it's about the fact that Dallon is in love with him.

"Because why?" Brendon asks, voice broken and sad. They stare at each other for a while, silence almost painful. Tears are running from both of their eyes, falling down their damp cheeks. Brendon huffs sadly, then shakes his head. "Nevermind. Doesn't fucking matter anyway, does it? I can't control how people feel about me."

"I love you."

"I don't believe you," Brendon quickly responds.

"And I don't think I can change that," Dallon says, but Brendon isn't sure if it's a response or a continuation. Either way, Brendon knows that Dallon doesn't love him. There's no way.

"Let's just go to sleep," Brendon says, almost in a begging-like manner. Dallon nods, then follows him upstairs. They turn off all the lights and lay in bed, Brendon this time laying on his side, facing the wall, trying to lay as far as possible without risking him falling off the bed. Dallon looks at him sadly. The anger has turned into pure sadness and he feels so frustrated that he just wants to cry.

He gets under the covers, facing Brendon's back. Brendon pulls the blankets up to his cheek, closing his eyes and gripping the sheets tightly. It's cold. No, actually, it's freezing, and Brendon is trying to fight the little part of his brain that is telling him to mention it.

"We're leaving soon," Dallon says quietly.

"Yeah."

And then it's silent again. Dallon's chest aches. He doesn't know what to do. Brendon doesn't believe him and he won't listen to him.

"Brendon," he says sadly and desperately, voice shaky and broken.

"What?" Brendon says.

Their hearts are shattering, so with one last sentence of hope, Dallon breathes shakily and says in a quiet voice, "I'm in love with you."

Brendon has to stop to make sure he heard him correctly, eyes wide with fear and sadness as he finds himself struggling to breathe.

"Why?" He chokes out quietly. They're scared. They're absolutely terrified.

"Love is not a choice," Dallon says. Brendon swallows and shakes his head.

"You're lying," he says. Dallon's heart sinks more if possible and thinks for a moment. He looks at Brendon, looks at his hand, plays a few small scenes in his head, then gets out of bed, leaving the room without a word. Brendon sits silently as he hears Dallon grab things before opening the front door and slamming it shut behind him.