Chapter One

"Madison! Madi! Hey whoa whoa whoa whoa." Clarke rushes after her enthusiastic six year old, blonde hair blowing in the New York fall winds. Madi is sprinting down the dirt road to the red barn, her curly hair tangled after being blown about. Clarke finally catches up to her kid, scoops Madi into her arms and throws the giggling child over her shoulder. "What have I said about going to see your pony?" Clarke wriggles her eyebrows as she lifts Madi to eye level. Huffing with sass Madi grumbles,
"I have to bring you too."
"Oh come on Mads I'm a blast!" Clarke gently kisses the beauty mark that's nestled on the left side of Madi's nose. "Alright let's go see Ladybug now shall we?" Clarke grabs her hand and is pulled behind the smiling girl. Clarke got Madi her first pony about six months ago for Christmas but Madi's excitement and happiness hasn't dropped one bit since that special morning.
~
    Clarke teaches horseback riding lessons on her own property and is a freelance painter. She paints on canvases and on walls in the morning and then brings out her seven horses and teaches lessons in the afternoon. Tuesdays are slow for Clarke so she savors them. Clarke walks slowly down the barn aisle and stops at her favorite horse, Bella. She is a deep chocolate brown with a pink splotch at the end of her nose. Clarke grabs at her phone when it dings, the name 'Lexa Woods' appearing on the screen. The edges of Clarke's mouth tugs upward without warning before she furrows her brow and sends the corners back down. She scans the message quickly,
Aden will be a bit late for his lesson. So sorry! I just got off work.
She sighs, disappointed at herself for expecting anything more. Aden has been taking lessons with her for about a month. yet all Clarke has exchanged with Lexa is greeting smiles and small talk. She can't help losing herself in those emerald green eyes. Clarke begins to inhale faster and faster, getting nervous at the idea of seeing the beautiful woman again.
Bella pokes her head up and whinnies, immediately Clarke begins to breathe deeper. Somehow this horse can ground her.
No worries! Slow day today anyway. Clarke hits send and then slips her phone back into the pocket of her tight pants. The ones she wore hoping to get attention from a certain brunette today.
~
"That's it Aden! Hold tight to her mane please!" Stella plods along with Aden's fists entangled in the hair on her neck, bouncing around on her back. Clarke shoves back the wispy blonde hairs that have escaped her tight ponytail and smiles huge. Her nose crinkles with amusement and the dimple in her right cheek deepens. Clarke sneaks a peek at the tall brunette leaning against the side of the fence. Lexa holds up her phone in one hand, recording a video, and the other grips the fence. Her green eyes are sparkling and the corners of her mouth turn up to reveal pearl white teeth. Clarke gets caught up in the view for a half second too long, only shaken back into reality by the hoofbeats getting closer and the warning call from her daughter. Clarke steps back quickly to avoid Madi galloping past.
"Alright sweetie that was perfect, let's end on that Aden!" Clarke calls.
Aden sits up smiling, revealing a gappy grin.
~
Lexa sits on the edge of the fence, still in her police uniform, waiting for her son. The pressed blue shirt tucked smoothly into black pants. Her gold badge pinned right above her breast pocket brings out the gold flecks in her eyes. Her holster was obviously left in the car but Clarke can't help but imagine how fucking hot Lexa would be with a gun hanging from her slim waist. Clarke leaves Madi and Aden to brush down their ponies and begins to walk toward Lexa. Clarke scolded herself for the butterflies fluttering at the bottom of her stomach. She's 30! An open bisexual since age 12 she's had plenty of practice with flirting. But god the way Lexa leans over the papers she's reading. The way her long fingers brush the corners. The way her eyes run back and forth. It pokes at Clarke. Stabs at Clarke. Just the way her body is so relaxed yet flexed in all the right places. It overwhelms Clarke to the point that she wants to turn around. But it's too late. Lexa's eyes flutter upwards. Her sharp green eyes find Clarke's soothing blue ones. They both stared at each other and after an awkward moment of silence of just staring they both start talking over each other.
"Whatcha workin-"
"Aden looked so-"
Clarke's ears flushed red again, silently Clarke cursed her ears that always gave her away. Lexa smiled her easy smile, a pink flush flowing over her cheeks. Lexa starts again, this time her words are quieter, "Aden looked so happy today. I'm so lucky that we found your training." Clarke perks up at the compliment, "Oh thank you! He's quite the natural actually."
"I'm just glad he found something he truly enjoys, of course alongside all the karate classes he's in" Lexa rolls her eyes into her head and lets out a sarcastic sigh. Immediately the wall between them crumbles and the conversation comes easy. Lexa complaining about her countless flower vases being broken and Clarke laughing softly. They got lost trading stories until Aden and Madi appear behind Clarke.
"Oh gosh hi guys!" Lexa sweeps up her papers and glances at her watch. "Shit it's so late, I lost track of time talking to Clarke." Lexa directs this to Aden but her eyes are focused on Clarke. "How's pizza for dinner sound Ads? I don't have time to cook now."
"Pizza from Oggi's?!" Aden grabs at Lexa's elbow.
"Sure baby whatever you want" Lexa kisses the eight year old on the head quickly and then returns to gathering her work.
"Unless you'd want to stay for dinner with Madi and I?" Clarke blurts it out quickly and then snaps her mouth shut, knowing how much she overstepped and kicking herself for it. For half a second Lexa's body softens like warm butter, obviously touched by the offer.
"Thank you Clarke but we've got to head home." Lexa offers a smaller smile and Clarke's features drop, not quite knowing what she expected but still disappointed with the answer.
"But another time." Lexa offers, meaning it.
"Alright then, see you next week!" Clarke's mouth lifts back into a smile but it wasn't the easy soft one she was wearing before. It stretched up higher and screamed out FAKE.