ch. 8

Lucas and El pushed their way through the busy hallway, towards the entrance door. Lucas taking the front, with his hand around El's wrist, pulling her through the crowded school halls.

They finally made their way outside, out in the chilly fall air.
"Finally," Lucas exhaled with a grin, "I don't think there'd be enough oxygen in there, for much longer."
El giggled at the stupid comment, softly shaking her head.

Lucas, Will and El had a school project to do, and had all agreed to go to Lucas' to finish the homework.
They turned to walk around the building, and pick up Will, when Lucas suddenly stopped and let out an irritated groan.
El turned around and looked back at him, with a questioning face.
"I forgot my jacket in the biology room," he complained, "I knew I had forgotten something!"

El was about to turn back and get it, but Lucas stopped her by putting a hand on her chest.
"No no, don't worry. I'll get it," he said, "you go get Will. He's somewhere by the soccer field."
El nodded, and Lucas smiled at her, as he turned around and ran back through the stream of students.

El headed to the field, wondering what Will would be doing there. He had never shown any interest in soccer nor football whatsoever.

When she got to the field it was completely empty. The soccer team's practice would begin in 15 minutes or so, but right now both field and grandstand was deserted.

El frowned confused, and was about to turn back around, when she spotted two people at the back row of one of the grandstands.
She squinted her eyes a little, to see that one of them was definitely Will.
The other one being Max.
El could recognize the long red hair any day.

But what would they ever do together? From what El had observed, Will and Max didn't share many interests. In fact, they were pretty much opposites.

El tried taking a closer look, from where she was standing.
Were they...
Smoking?

Eleven glared at them. She didn't like the fact, that her friends were smoking. She knew it wasn't good for your body. Besides, it was against the school's policy.

She wanted to go up and confront them, but she hadn't spoken to Max in a very long time, and she didn't want to cause an awkward situation.

She decided, since she had to go and get Will anyways, that she would walk up to them.
She took the courage, and ran across the field, and up the stairs of the grandstand.

As Will noticed her, he quickly lowered his cigarette.
"H-hi El," he stammered nervously at her, when she was within his reach, as she was walking down the narrow aisle.

"Long time," Max said under her breath, offend present in her voice.
El knew Max would be annoyed with her.
She could definitely sense El avoiding her.

El looked down at her own fidgeting hands, not wanting to make eye contact.
"Yeah... I'm sorry-" she blushed.
In the corner of her eye she could sense Max smirking. Probably at her blushing face. Though, she quickly forced the smile back into a careless face.

"Whatever," she shrugged, and put the cigarette to her lips.
El couldn't help it but glance at her.
She didn't like smoking, and she usually didn't find it attractive at all, but Max managed to make it look cool.
It looked good on her.

El came back to her senses, and turned her gaze back down at her feet.
"You- you shouldn't smoke-"

"Why's that?" Max interrupted.

"I don't want you to get in trouble-"

"Why do you care all of a sudden?"

El finally turned to look Max in the eyes. She had expected an angry look on her face, but she only saw disappointment and misery in her eyes.
None of the girls said anything.

"What's taking you so long," they heard Lucas' voice, from the bottom of the seats.
Will looked from El to Max before he finally stood up.
"I'll just..." he said awkwardly, "We'll wait for you by the parking lot, El"
He dropped his cigarette in the aisle and quickly stepped on it, before speed-walking down the stairs.
Leaving Max and El alone.

a/n
this "scene" will continue next chapter
i'm sorry if any typos and how bad this is overall, i'm very tired