(7)

We both head in the direction of Magic Lake like we had all those years ago. It was technically five years, but it feels a like a whole lifetime ago. It's a strange, but an exciting feeling to be walking and talking with Colton again. I even found joy in listening to him talk about lacrosse. Although, I don't have sports of my own to talk about, I told him all about my latest designs over the years. I'm not sure if he cared about the things I told him, but he made it seem like he did.

Soon, the mass of trees stood tall in front of us. We both look up at the tall mass of trees, then grin at each other like we did back when we were kids. And then suddenly, just from that one look, I had this urge to just sprint into the forest in front of us. And by some unknown source, it seemed as if Colton was on the same page as we both took off from in front of the clearing at the same time. I pumped my legs as fast as I could, feeling an adrenaline rush I feel only when I've just been inspired to make a new design.

With Colton's athletic background however and my lack thereof,  Colton is well ahead of me and my adrenaline doesn't last very long. I start to slow when I feel like my legs nor my lungs can take anymore of the cardio. I want to yell to Colton to wait up, but my rapid breathing prevents me from doing so. Luckily, Colton turns to the side and notices I am not longer there. He slows to a stop until I'm caught up with him.

I notice that's he's not at all as winded as I am. Must be nice to be in shape. He seems to notice my exhaustion and starts to grin, but before he can say anything about how I am not athletically inclined, I say, "Don't. You've pointed it out many times before. Nothing's changed." It's not like I cared about how un-athletic I am compared to him, I always got annoyed that he'd rub it in my face. 

He just laughs as we continue our way to Magic Lake. "It's crazy Magic Lake didn't cross my mind," he starts, "especially since this is where I'd pass everyday to school."

I nod my head to his statement. "You're schedule with lacrosse could've gotten in the way." He bobs his head side to side to this statement, considering it's truth. "I mean, don't you guys have before and after school practice? While keeping up with your school work and games? Sounds like a handful to me."

"Point taken." He says, smiling. But then adds, "and with everything happening at home...and with Victoria..." his smile fades and our walk slows.

This is the first time he's mentioned Victoria, to me at least. I knew things at home aren't going well, but I didn't know he was also having troubles with his girlfriend. I am by no means up to date with the latest gossip at Crystal Falls High, but as far as I'm concerned, they've been together since freshman year. Granted, I don't see or talk to them to know anything was wrong in the first place.

Our light atmosphere becomes tense and it feels like I'm suddenly walking on egg shells. I look up at him, studying his face. He's looking at the ground, his jaw clenched and his arms stiff at his sides. I heave in a deep breath before saying, "I'm always here if you need to talk about it." I don't specify the "it" so it's implied that I'm here to talk to him about anything. Good and bad. Colton gives me a closed lipped smile as a show of gratitude, but looks back forward and continues onward toward the clearing. The rest of the walk to the port is spent in silence. It isn't until we were seated on the port that he decides to break it.

"Sometimes, when it gets bad, I need to get out of the house and away from all of it."

It takes me a second to realize we were on the topic of his parents, but once I do, I say, "you know...if you need a place to get away to, you can come over to my house." It's probably not the "somewhere" he'd first think to get away to, but at least he knows he has a place to go to. He glances my way with a peculiar gaze. "Plus...I'm sure my dad would like to see you again" I add.

He lets out a chuckle. "We're neighbors. I'm pretty sure your dad has seen me."

I roll my eyes at his dimwitted comment. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah, I know," he laughs. "But... I might just take you up on your offer." He adds, throwing a smile in my direction.

I smile back before turning my head to look out at the lake. I inhale a breath of fresh air, glad that the tension is no longer in it. And, when I glance back at Colton, I see that he is enjoying it too. His lips are curved up in a slight smile as he looks out in the distance. The lightness of his facial features and how relaxed he looks gave way to this. He turns his head, catching me staring. Impulsively, my heart skips a beat as our eyes lock on each other. I look away, my face flushed red in embarrassment.

I hear him let out a breathy chuckle, which makes me feel even more embarrassed than I already am. But, instead of saying something about it like I thought he would, he instead says, "have you been coming everyday?"

"Yes, I have." He nods his head, pealing his eyes away from mine. "But, you know, it hasn't been the same without you" I add. He cracks a smile that makes my heart warm to see. And it wasn't until this moment I realized just how much I missed him. I mean, I always knew I missed him, but never realized how much. Don't get me wrong, Kathy, Evangeline, and Benny are amazing and I love them to death, but it's nothing compared to what I had with Colton.

"Of course it hasn't," he beams, leaning back against his hands. "We both know I was always the fun one."

I scoff at this, knowing very well that it's true, but there is no way I am letting him know that. "I wouldn't call being irritating, fun."

"Ah, and yet you still hung around." He points out, a smug smile spreading across his face.

Irritating then, irritating now. "I couldn't leave you knowing you didn't have any other friends. That would've just been mean." I say, giving him a sly smile. We both know he had way more friends than I did, but he lets me take the win by letting out a low chuckle.

A calm silence takes over as we both look out at the lake and the distant mountains, so I take this time to mull over what I'm going to do about fashion school since that was my primary reason for coming to Magic Lake today until I ran into Colton. I have some schools in mind, but I don't know if I'd be willing to go as far as east coast even though everyone knows a lot of the top fashion institutes are there. My portfolio, on the other hand, is a whole other problem. I haven't even started and the deadline is February. Granted, Halloween isn't until another two months, but a well laid out portfolio takes time and patience. Lots of it.

Which reminds me, I should start searching for some inspiration for my designs. I was thinking along the lines of "Disney" since that's how I found my love for fashion. Most, if not all, of my designs are inspired from disney shows and movies. I guess you could call me a disney connoisseur.