31. Weaponized

"Shh

"Shh." My father smiles at me as we walk up the stairs, "It won't be a surprise if she hears you."

"She's human."  I say to him, "She can't hear us."

"Humans can hear more than you think." He whispers, and we reach the top of the stairs. I quickly run to the door to my parents room and open it.

"Mommy!"

My mother, already awake, smiles when I jump into her arms. "Happy birthday, mom!"

"Thank you, sweetie." She answers, hugging me back before looking up at her husband, "Oh, Peter..."

He just grins at her as an answer, holding the birthday cake in his hands.

"We have cake for breakfast!"  I yell, probably waking up the other werewolves in the house.

And I was right, because a sleepy Cora walks into the room, "Was someone talking about cake?"

My mother laughs, a beautiful sound that echoes through the house. 

--

The grass is cold underneath my body as I stare at the ground.

"I knew I would find you here." A voice says, and I don't have to look up to know it's my father.

"It's her birthday." I whisper, "Of course I'm here."

He places a few flowers in front of the stone that says 'Grace Hale. A beloved daughter, mother, aunt and friend.'

"You know, she used to hate her birthday." He tells me, "Until you came and made her special birthday drawings."

"I made one every year after the fire." I admit, "Of course I was never able to give them to her, they're somewhere in a sketch book." I stand up from where I was sitting on the grass, there's probably green stains on the back of my pants, but I don't care.

"She kept them in her drawer." He tells me, "And when she was upset she looked at them."

"I sometimes wonder, what would've happened if she was still alive?"

He sighs, "I probably wouldn't be as crazy as I am now. Or as I was, I'm better now. She was my anchor, she kept me sane."

"Do you think she would..."

"Be proud of you? Yes." He answers and places his hand on my shoulder, "And, I hate to admit it, she would've loved Stiles."

"Yeah, if she were here they probably would've had long conversations about which Star Wars movie was the best. And whether the Lord of the Rings movies were as good as the books."

"You've got her love for those movies from her, huh?" He jokes, but his voice is soft and sad. He glances at his watch, "I hate to break this mood, but you've got school in a few minutes."