Chapter One

He stepped closer to me after I has said the words I had kept a secret for too long. Afraid of what was gonna happen next, I closed my eyes and hang my head in shame. He tenderly lifted my head up again to...

"GABRIELLE IT'S 8AM YOU'RE ALREADY LATE FOR SCHOOL!"

'Shit... it was just a dream. Of course it was. I'll never get the fricking balls to actually tell him how I feel', I said to myself. Suddenly my step dad slammed the door open to find me all covered up with my blankets, quietly whispering to myself. "Didn't you hear me? I said it's 8am for fuck's sake! Your mother is going to kill you AND me when she wakes up." I rolled my eyes: "Of course she's gonna wake up when you're shouting like a crow." He panted with rage because of what I had said and started shouting yet again: "Fuckin' hell. Just shut the fuck up, get outta that bed and move your fucking ass to school!"

I quietly started crying and wrapped the blanket over my head. "Shannon.. don't make me go today. I'm feeling horrible. Just tell mom I went to school and I'll hide here until she leaves the house. I'm begging you! Thought you'd understand me.."

Suddenly, all of his rage was like blown away. He slowly sat down on my bed, took the blankets away and hugged me tightly as I cried in his arms. "I do, cutie. Don't worry about it. She won't find out. Promise."

I knew I could count on him. There's no other person who understood me the way he did. Not even my damn mother. People at school were bullying me to the worst because I was the quiet and strange one in class. Always somewhere else and whenever somebody tried to speak to me, I drifted away and ended up in my own little world. As if I was so high, it made me unintentionally go to other places in my head.

I was still crying in Shannon's arms even though I was totally lost in my thoughts and didn't even notice that I was soaking his shirt with my tears. His voice made me snap back to reality: "Babe, you'll be alright as soon as you leave this fucked up school. I'm sorry for yelling at you, but you know your mother." I looked up to nod at him and he carefully wiped my tears away with his thumb. I closed my eyes and immediately fell back asleep while I was still resting my head on his chest. Shannon carefully let me sink down to the mattress, covered me with my blanket, whispered "sleep tight, cutie" and left the room.