4

Glancing from the time on your tablet to the packet in your hand you sighed, turning to the cell, seeing Mark in the same position he was in before, though his eyes looked...distant. "Mark?" You questioned in an attempt to get his attention, and after you didn't receive a response or a reaction at all, you moved closer to the glass.

He remained still and unresponsive, making you worry. Subconsciously, you pressed your palm against the glass, causing Mark's head to snap toward you. "You shouldn't touch it." His voice was low and on edge. It was a warning...but not a threatening one. Slowly you removed your hand from the cold surface, the action visibly making Mark relax slightly.

"I'm guessing you're hungry?" You questioned, not commenting on his behavior. After a few moments, he pressed a hand to his stomach and hummed, as he had just noticed the fact. "Now that you mentioned it..." He said in agreement and looked from you to the button on the desk. "Guess this is the part you knock me out." He said casually, used to the procedure.

With a hint of sadness, you nodded, talking as you walked back to the desk. "How long have you been here for? " You started a new conversation and pulled out your glass tablet when you were seated on the chair. "Long...Memories get jumbled in here." He stated, pointing to his head. "So long it seems like an eternity."

"Do you remember what things were like before? Your past life? Family...?" Only when the questions left your mouth you realized how these questions could be hurting him. Your thoughts were proven to be true as you saw him hesitate, already feeling guilty. "I...I'd rather not..." It was all he had said, and that was enough. You saw a message pop up, informing you that your tablet was now connected to the system, meaning you were now able to remotely control everything no matter where you were. At least as long as you had the tablet.

Your finger hovered over the button on the screen that would deploy the knockout gas, and after a few moments, you finally pressed it. And...nothing happened? The only sign that you pressed the button was the alert on your tablet. Was there a malfunction? Just as you were about to check and see if the program was connected correctly, the silence was broken by a soft thud, bringing your attention back to the cell.

And there was Mark lying on his side, knocked out cold. That was unexpected. In contrast, to literally every movie you have watched there wasn't any sound as the gas was deployed, and it was completely colorless like air, making it invisible. That was...handy? It did make it easier since it didn't alert the prisoner about the 'threat'. 5 minutes minimally, you noted to yourself and opened the glass cell door, stepping in when it lifted up. You put the packet next to Mark's sleeping form and took in his appearance from close up.

His hair was really a mess and definitely needed some grooming...as did his beard. The skin under it looked irritated. How could they leave him like this? Awful people...they were the monsters. It was only now that you noticed what you were doing, which was having your hand in Mark's slightly longer hair in an attempt to move it from his face. With a silent curse, you scolded yourself and pulled your hand away, causing to hair to return to its previous place.

You couldn't ignore the fact that he was exceptionally handsome, making this even more awkward for you. At least he won't know what happened. You were lost observing his features and quickly received a warning on your device, saying that the 5-minute mark was nearing. You were almost sad to leave his side but quickly brushed the feeling away. As soon as the glass was back in its place you saw Mark stir, beginning to wake up. That was...close.

He let out a yawn you could tell he was trying to suppress, his eyes visibly still affected by the gas. He saw the packet next to him and sent a drowsy, sloppy smile your way that definitely didn't make you feel anything.

It was a silent 'thank you'. A small gesture that you should just ignore or forget as soon as it happened, yet it was always there. That goofy gas induced smile that made your insides twist with a feeling you haven't felt in so long and it scared you- the fact that you had literally just met this person. And not just anywhere but in a secret facility where he is kept from harming others because of being possessed by a demon-like monster. If that wasn't a lot to have to deal with, you had no idea what was.

That was only the extra stuff. There were still the more normal obstacles everyday people would have to deal with in this situation, such as- Does he think the same about you? And the thing you should ask yourself first and of which the answer is basically a very important thing- does he even find men attractive? Unfortunately, that was one of the things you didn't have the information of, leaving you in the dark.

Before you realized it you were back in your room, with literally no memory of when you even decided to come back, too wrapped into your frantic thoughts. You were even more messed up than you thought, and with that you retreated into bed, watching Mark on the screen of our tablet. He was eating with slight difficulty, a few grimaces here and there, but he was eating.

Good...

You thought in silence and sighed, continuing to observe him. Was he really that bad? You hadn't even seen a glimpse of it...so far at least, or that you had known of. Manipulating...leading you into a false sense of security... You discarded the thought before you started to ponder on it too much and turned the screen off, feeling exhausted.