The Results

Not recieving a single point did knock me down a peg, but how could I not get into the U.A. hero course? I pretty much expected it, it was a given. Of course I would. That's  just how it's supposed to happen. The exam results were the perfect piece to shatter my illusion, and send me into questioning whether or not I could actually be a hero.

   "I mean... of course I can!" Small me rationalized. "Erasure's a power made for the hero business!" I inhaled sharply before noticing a wetness on my face. I rapidly blinked and wiped the tears from my cheeks. I thought about how that everything that happened was purely circumstantial, not at all my fault, but I knew I was wrong. Not only wrong, but lying to myself. The realization hit me hard, afterall, how could I be cocky? I mean, I saw myself as someone beyond my peers, intelligent and rational. Rereading that sentence kind of makes me realize how I became so cocky, I mean, that's a pretty arrogant sense of self.

"I guess my only option to really be who I envision myself as,  is to work for it," I muttered "cause I'm obviously not there yet." I reread my exam results. The page was filled with words, most just formalities. Trying to put it lightly that I didn't get accepted into the hero course and instead was placed into general studies. My mind flipped through any way to get into the hero course as hot tears hit the page.

"There's nothing!" I screamed with my nails digging into my skull. I sank to my knees, allowing salty tears flow freely down my face. Before I had a moment to sulk, I heard footsteps pound down the hall towards my bedroom. My father called my name, asking what could be wrong. "It's nothing!" I sputtered, not wanting to explain my scream.

   "It doesn't sound like nothing." My father told me firmly from the other side of the door.

   "Well sounds can be deceiving, I guess." I spat, unable to think of any excuse. My dad sighed and edged closer to my door. I brushed away my tears in case he barged in. "No you can't come in."

   "I didn't even ask!" He scoffed. I heard him step back. "I get you need your space, but I need to know that you're alright." He whispered just loud enough to hear through the door. I took in a huge gulp of air and a tear dripped down my cheek.

   "And what if I'm not?" I tried to say, but it came out nearly inaudible. After a second, he sighed and walked away. Crisis averted, right? Why, then, did my heart still race? I felt sick, so I laid down on my bed, my soft black bed. I cried some more, but at some point, it was all out. I breathed a few, calmer breaths before asking myself a crucial question to my coming up in becoming a hero. I'm at the bottom, so what will I do next? After thinking on the query, I found pushups to be my answer.