Chapter Eight: The Coming Storm

I'm not entirely sure for how long I stood there, frozen to the spot, but it was long enough for all of the others to take notice.  None approach me, but they all look apprehensively back the way we'd come. I see doubt in some of their eyes, that perhaps they had picked someone too young to lead them, or that I was afflicted with the same disease as my younger kin. I am unable to bring myself to care just yet.

Kili is standing closest, looking at me worriedly with an expression showing only worry for me, which I suppose is better than suspicion.  He also does not approach me, instead waiting for me to explain why I'm suddenly acting very strange when I had been fine just a moment ago.

Emotions war with themselves inside of me, a blackened turmoil of feelings and memories pushed down and forgotten for so long. Guilt, denial, and fear jumble within me, but I fight to quell it, trying to push all of it away as it had been before I remembered.

I cannot let this new information affect me so; I must continue leading on with what is left of my people. I have to be strong because I am their leader, their Duhului Drakai.

So instead of sitting down and curling into a fetal position, I straighten myself and take in a large gulp of air, pushing it back out slowly as I focus on the task at hand. We need to prepare for war, and Ben was running late.

"We agreed to meet Ben and the others here after they searched for other riders, yes?" I ask no one in particular, snapping back into my old self. 

I receive scattered nods of consent from those loosely circled around me.  We were settled at an semi-hidden, easily defendable halfway point between the mountains that had once been my home and Erebor, waiting for the second scouting party to make it back to us.  Ben, the rider in charge of the second party, had estimated it would take them only a day of hard flying to make it there and back to the rendezvous, so I suppose one of two things could have happened due to the fact that we are now into the wee hours of the morning of the next day.

Possibility one is that they found more riders and have to wait for all of them to assemble, as well as explain everything that is going on. This is what I'm hoping desperately has happened.  The other possibility is that they were ambushed. Although difficult, it's not impossible to catch a dragon unawares, especially if they had already landed.

I can tell that everyone is uneasy, obviously thinking of the same outcomes as I am.

"We will wait for them until sunrise. If none have arrived by then, we return to Erebor."

"You'll just leave them?" one cries in outrage, and I see riders look to each other as they doubt my decision.

"If something has happened to them they are already dead. You know as well as I that any dragon will choose death over captivity, and the Shadow Queen and her Aitu have no need for prisoners, only food. Flying blindly in search of our comrads will only end with more lives lost.

I do not wish to abandon them, but searching for them is too great a risk when war will soon be on our doorstep."

The eldest of the group stands, interjecting in my favor. "Ben is a good man. He will know to return straight to Erebor with reinforcements should we not be at the rendezvous. We have trusted our Duhului Drakai without question when facing the impossible fight against Balrogs, what reason have we to doubt her judgement now?"

I nod to him gratefully, glad to have someone backing me up on this.  I'm fully aware of the fact that I don't look to be much of a leader, but I'm all we've got at the moment, and decending into chaos is not on my before battle to do list.

"Alright then, anyone who wants to sleep can; I will keep watch with anyone who stays awake."

A few go a little ways off to set up bedrolls under the shelter of the trees, and several walk a bit farther to take up watch.

"Well that certainly could have ended worse." Kinjal comments, speaking me from the opposite side of the camp we had set up.

"I have decided I very much hate being in charge." I sigh, agreeing with Kinjal all the same. "Let's just hope that the others make it back here before the sun does."

***

Guess what's no longer on hiatus? The Shadow Queen! A little bit of unrest happening amongst the riders.  What are your thoughts on what is to come?