one

Her white blouse flew in the wind, the black leather jacket that sat atop her shoulders keeping her warm from the chilly air around them

Her white blouse flew in the wind, the black leather jacket that sat atop her shoulders keeping her warm from the chilly air around them. Silver eyes looked out into the clouds that surrounded them, trying her best to keep her focus on the task at hand, but it was next to impossible. Annabeth Chase could see it from a mile away as she looked to her best friend.

"We're going to find him,"

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Anna,"

Luna Ardelean's eyes trailed over to Annabeth as she spoke. Butch sat between them, holding tightly to the reigns of the chariot as they flew through the air. Annabeth sighed, her arm coming to rest around the back of the chariot, fingertips lightly touching Luna's shoulder.

"My vision said to find the boy with one shoe. Our answers lie in Nevada, we're going to find him,"

"It's been three days, Anna," Luna's voice was quiet, sad eyes peering into her best friend's hopeful and determined ones. "I had a vision months ago, I ignored it. I knew something was coming, I should've tried harder."

"You might be a Goddess, Luna," Butch began, his eyes looking down on the woman beside him for just a second, before looking back to the sky before them. "But there are even limits to your power. Just because you saw something that came true, doesn't mean that you could've prevented it."

"But I could've tried," Luna whispered, looking away from the two beside her and back to the clouds that raced by. Her bottom lip trembled as she took it between her teeth, trying to keep herself in check. "It's my fault."

The rest of the chariot ride was filled with silence. Annabeth knew that Luna was going through something unimaginable. She wanted to make a thousand promises, help Luna get through this and focus, but how could she make a promise that she wasn't sure she'd be able to keep?

The chariot descended from the skies, landing on the ground quickly next to a cracked sky-bridge over the Grand Canyon. Annabeth was quick to unsheathe her sword, Luna not far behind as the pair made their way across the bridge to the three young people that stood just feet away.

"Where is he?" Annabeth challenged the blonde boy in front of her, tip of her sword positioned at his neck. His eyes went wide as he exchanged a look with the two beside him, who were wide eyed as well.

"Where's who?"

Luna frowned at his answer, the small fire of hope inside her disappearing. She was never going to find him.

Annabeth turned to the other two, her sword pointed at them instead.

"What about Gleeson? Where is your protector, Gleeson Hodge?"

The dark haired boy exchanged a look with the brunette girl beside him, swallowing the lump in his throat before looking back to Annabeth.

"He got taken by some...tornado things,"

"Venti," the first boy cut in, gaining Luna's attention immediately. "Storm spirits."

"Anemoi thuellai is the Greek term, actually," Luna cut in, the blonde's eyes meeting her's. She cocked her head, taking a step toward him. "Who are you? What happened here?"

The boy did his best to explain the story; he didn't know who he was, one of their classmates tried to kill them, and then that led them right to this moment. Luna's frown only deepened as he told the story, Butch coming to stand beside them.

"No," Annabeth whispered, turning to look back at her best friend. "She said he'd be here! Luna, I swear, she said if we came here we'd find the answer!"

"Look," Butch cut in before Luna could answer. The three looked down to the blonde's shoes, seeing that he only had one on. "The guy with one shoe. He is the answer."

"He doesn't even know himself, how could he know where to find him?" Luna reasoned with Butch, tears welling in her eyes. Butch's eyes widened as Luna's eyes began to burn red. She took a few steps away, looking up to the sky as he hands glowed like fire. "Is this a punishment of some kind? Are you punishing me for my mother having me? You bring me back, you make me me, just to take him away? What did you do to him!"

The sky-walk shuddered beneath them, the three unknowns only staring at Luna with wide eyes as they watched her first burn red. Annabeth shared a look with Butch, before she carefully approached Luna.

"Luna," the girl looked back at her best friend, a single tear dropping down her cheek as the red dissipated. "We need to go. Let's take them back to camp and work through it all there. We don't need the storm spirits coming back right now."

Luna wiped away the tear on her cheek, eyes meeting with the blonde once more. He noted the frown on her face as she just gave Annabeth a subtle nod, before walking back to the chariot alone and leaving Butch and Annabeth with the newbies.

"What's her problem? What is going on?" the girl questioned, looking back at Luna's retreating figure in disgust as the dark haired boy nodded along with her.

"We have to get you out of here, we'll explain on the way," Butch reasoned with them, shooting the girl a warning glance. "And have care how you speak about her. You don't understand anything."

"I don't think I should go anywhere with her," the blonde mentioned, pointing toward Luna. "She doesn't look very happy to be near me right now."

Annabeth and Butch shared a glance before Annabeth turned to the boy with a heavy sigh.

"Luna...she's okay. She's normally a lot more welcoming, but she's going through quite a lot right now. I had a vision, telling me to come here and find a boy with one shoe, and it was supposed to solve her problem. I failed her."

"What even is the problem?" the brunette girl questioned again.

"She's -well, we- have been looking for one of our campers, been missing for three days now. She's going out of her mind with worry, she just wants him back. We were all really hoping he'd be here."

"Who is he?"

"Her boyfriend, guy named Percy Jackson,"