Prologue

"There once was a princess, most beautiful in all the sea. She fell in love with her best friend, a prince of no clan, and the future king of all the oceans. Sure that the prince felt the same, the princess was content to let their love bloom and not play the games of the blossoming Mer, but she was a fool.

"When the time came for the prince to rule and take a mate, he didn't choose his friend, he chose another Mer, a maid who used her new status and words to undo centuries of peace between the clans. The outrage of the clans caused a rift in the ocean that sent massive tsunamis to the lands of men. Eventually, the King gained control again and negotiated peace, but the damage was done, and the clans divided.

"Unable to watch his passion for another, or to bow to a queen who incited chaos and hatred between clans, the princess chose to leave the shores of the King's Island, and travelled to the land of men.

"In self-imposed exile, the princess learned new ways. She met other Mers who chose to leave, either imposed as punishment, or in disgust of the ways of the new queen. Together they built their business, supported one another, and rallied the humans to care for the marine surroundings of their lands.

"A new home and life was hers, and the benefit over the humans of a long life, put her at an advantage. In the land of men, the Princess became wealthy without the need of a crown or other peoples approval, and so, she never returned. After fifty years in exile, the Princess met a Mer Prince from the ice lands. His pale hair and ghostly skin so at odds with that of the dark manes and olive hues of the Mer in the tropical waters. They fell in love, and she bore him a son. For twenty years, they carried on their love affair whenever he could be with her, until his duty to his people called him home permanently.

"The prince wanted the princess to go with him, but the cold waters of the south were not to her liking. After angry words, the prince declared he would leave and take their son, his heir, with him. Heartbroken, but resolute, she kissed her love and son goodbye, and stayed in the land of men. There she waits, for the King of Ice to return to her again once his duty can be passed to their heir, or for her time to end."

Eyes set on the landmark that denoted the territory of the far southern ice Mer, I wondered if my father would even recognise me as an adult. If I dived off the research vessel and swum into the trenches to see him, would he deny me his, turn me away?

"Thank you, I love that fairytale, and it wouldn't feel like we were heading home if you didn't retell it," Janie sighed, sipping her hot coco as she stared at the bridgeberg denoting entry to the Ice Mer waters. Not that Janie knew thats what the landmark denoted.

"My mother used to tell it to me every night I went to sleep."

"Your father left when you were young didn't he?"

"I was only months old." If I hadn't seen the photos of him and my much older brother, seen my mother in our saltwater pool, or ever realised I could breathe under water myself, I may have believed it was just a tale. Since I was the only researcher on this vessel who didn't need to worry about running out of air, or getting the bends if I rose to the surface too quickly, I was inclined to believe my mother's story.

"God, why does it get so much colder when we pass the arch? I'll see you inside." Shivering, Janie moved to the inner quarters, leaving me alone on the back of the research vessel to complete my passing ritual.

Taking the shiny watertight locket from my pocket, I snapped it open to the two year old photo of myself and mother. Every time I left, I bought a new locket and we took a photo for me to wear while away. On every return, I gave it to my father. My mother hadn't aged hardly at all on shore in over eighty years of life on land. Still beautiful and youthful, she could pass for late thirties, and with my looking to be early twenties still, most now thought us sisters.

Closing the clasp, I kissed it. "She misses you, King Kai and Prince Zimm." Breathing my message onto it, I threw it towards the boundary of my father's territory just as I did on every crossing for the last ten years.

Turning my gaze from the horizon, I cuddled my wind breaker around me tighter, and headed inside for dinner. After two years living on the Antarctic shelf researching the fauna and effects of climate change, I was coming home. Give me sunshine, and warm seas. My body and heart were in need of dire thawing.

Below the Surface

Exiting the Antartica Counterpolar current, Bolt's guards and he glided towards the Ice Mer territory. The journey to get here was long, but the South Equitorial current, connecting to the East Australian current, and onto the counterpolar current, made it easier. If Bolt's expedition was successful, it will have been worth the trip.

Diving deep beneath the human seafaring vessel to avoid sighting, Bolt and his guard continued towards their target. Thoughts solely on the words he would use to convince King Gai of renewing trade, Bolt failed to acknowledge the shiny spinning descent, or the words emanating from it, until it conked him on the head.

'She misses you. She misses you. She misses you.' The shiny kept spinning downwards.

Snatching the glittering chain, Bolt observed the locket and looked back up at the surface. Mer were renowned for liking shiny objects, and this was polished like it was new, but carried the oil and smell of a female that indicated well-worn.
Snapping it open, Bolt released bubbles when he saw the image of the two women inside. Jettisoning to the surface, Bolt caught a glimpse of the pale profile hidden in the hood of her jacket as she gave one last look to the ice and stepped inside.

Brows drawn, Bolt looked at the image of the dark haired women in the photo, the pale one, the girl he just saw on the boat. Confused why she would declare missing herself, he turned south and spotted the arch of ice that marked the territory he was heading towards.

"Something wrong, Prince Bolt?"

Snapping the locket shut, Bolt kept it clasped in his hand. "A mystery. We are nearly there, let us hurry and we may make the evening meal."

"Do you think King Kai will treaty?" Briyez, Bolt's best friend and guard queried. "They have no reason to want to return to recognising the ocean rule."

Beyond his reasoning, Bolt returned his eyes to the now distant human vessel, and then the locket in his grip. Human's couldn't spot a Mer on land as any different to themselves, but the Mer could always tell another of their kin. The women in this locket were Mer. One from the islands, and the other of mixed heritage. The woman on the boat.

"I believe we try to undo my mother's damage as best we can, and appeal to the wisdom of a known influential king rather than those who will ultimately look to him for guidance anyway."

"Why bait the prawns when you could just net them all with one king?"

Smiling at Briyez, Bolt nodded, then he dived below the surface and continued to the Ice Mer waters. Only to be greeted by Ice Mer guards. Their long pale hair tied back in braids, their ice blue eyes glaring through the darkening waters, their ghostly skin blurring in the current. They held weapons at the ready, and looked ready to use them.

"You are far from home, sun Mers."

Making eye contact with the one who telepathed to them, Bolt glided forward. "I am Bolt. Son of King Rai and prince of the Oceans."

"We recognise no such prince."

"That doesn't change who I am, or that I am here to see your king."

The guards eyes went to his hand and the locket. "Where did you get that?"

"It hit me in the head only a short time ago. It was thrown from the ship passing just now."

Exchanging looks, the guard swam forward extending his hand. "That is for our king."

Curious, and now understanding the message, Bolt's brow lifted. "Well, I will happily hand it to him personally when you take me to him."

Exchanging more glances, the guards nodded and turned, leading the way into the ice city.