Chapter 3

The splash sounded above me, but I was too caught up in my emotions to care. Strong arms wrapped around me, pulling me into the solid naked chest of a Mer. There was no need to worry which Mer. The heat exchange between our touching bodies was answer enough. Bolt held me while I sobbed against his chest, and he rubbed my back soothingly without a word.

Bolt held me until my body eased, and my fingers released the death grip I had on his neck and shoulder. He didn't release me, but his hand travelled up to sweep back my hair and lift my face to his while he used the tongue of Mer to communicate with me. "Your sorrow called to me across the sea. Thankfully, I hadn't gone far yet."

Swallowing against the intense look in his eyes, I shook my head. "You're forbi-"

"Forgive me in advance." Lips crushed against mine, his hands raising me up to be level with him, then he wrapped me in his arms and kissed the ice out of me. He wasn't speaking Mer now. His tongue was all primal lust, heat, and domination.

Supplicating to the inferno he lit within, I wrapped my body around him and replied in kind. Strong hands held me, felt me, made me moan with need and a longing for finally finding desire. It felt amazing, like I was finally alive after sleeping under the snow for so long. So much so, that when Bolt's hands lifted my shirt over my head and relieved me of my bikini top, I didn't dare object.

My breasts felt right in his hands, needing him to keep touching me, groping my mounds, rubbing his thumb across the peaks. When he dropped his mouth to suck the nibs, electricity fired within, my head flew back, and all the air remaining in my lungs escaped in a cry of pleasure.

"Poseidon, help me," Bolt muttered as he kissed between my breasts that were gripped in his palms, his bull horn pressing against my bum where my legs wrapped around his waist.

As if our god heard his prayer, an item dropped into the pool and floated down beside us. Groaning, Bolt grabbed the smart watch and hit the screen to show the display. Nodding his head, he flung it back up out of the pool and turned his emerald-violet gaze on me. Snatching my top floating in the water, Bolt handed it back to me, then turned away.

Taking the cue, I dressed my self then rose to the surface. As I sat on the ledge, the guards standing over by the shelf turned their backs and watched the entryway. The cascade of overflow had stopped, which I knew meant the tide was going out. If we didn't leave the cave now, we'd be stuck here till the tide came back in tomorrow morning.

Sitting beside me, Bolt took my shaking hand in his grasp. "Your mother told me I couldn't have you. Kissing you, knowing your shoal didn't approve was disrespectful, but when I saw your eyes, I couldn't resist you. It was the same when your sorrow called to me. I had to come, and I had to kiss you and touch you at least once. I would have taken more, but you are a princess in two clans, and you are part Ice Mer. I know what it means for the Ice Mer when they finally ignite their desire. I am older, and of the sun. It would be my fault if I caused you to dishonour your clan. But, damn it if I don't want you."

"Forbidden." It's all I could say. It's more than I should be saying. Everything about Bolt would cause me to break protocol.

Caressing my face, Bolt looked torn. "I know. I will not ask you to break from what family you have, nor to dishonour yourself by being my lover in secret." Standing up, Bolt walked to the shelf and whispered something to the guard there before turning back to me. "Briyez will see you back to your beach safely. As a believer in fate, I won't wish you goodbye because I believe we will see each other again, Princess."

With a bow of his head, Bolt dived into the surging sea, all but one of his guard following him. Briyez turned and waited for me, his violet gaze pure and cautious. Standing, I moved towards him. Before I could dive into the sea, he stepped in front of me and wiped his thumbs across my cheeks. "Leave your tears here, Princess. Don't broadcast your pain to the sea. You'd be surprised how far it carries in water."