vi | The Commander

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Six

       My mind was still reeling, even though I had discovered the article a few days ago. I just couldn’t stop thinking about it. I wanted to know more; I wanted to know why. I wanted to know everything about that article and the beast.

       Over the past couple of days I’d started to get used to the human way of life. It was a lot different to what I was used to, however I seemed to be able to manage fitting in. I didn’t think anyone was suspicious of me, which was good. I’d learned quite a lot about humans. I learned they do things a lot differently to the Ceaelie. I learned they were in no way formal at all. They would still remain a mystery to me though.

       After reading through the books and articles I’d gotten more of an insight into the town’s history. It’d been nice to actually know something about the town, and I couldn’t help but wonder if Kali felt the same if she did the same research as I did. Her memory made my heart clench in my chest and I had to avert my thoughts before I got lost in my own mind.

        As I walked down the main street in town I pondered how I’d get to the barn. I hadn’t found anything on it in any of the books or articles. There was nothing miraculous about it, apparently. I didn’t know how I was going to get there. But I knew I had to otherwise my fellow Ceaelie would become worried and come looking for me. If only I knew the location of it…

        Since I’d been so consumed in my own thoughts I got a shock when I suddenly collided with something - or someone - and lost my balance, falling backwards with a gasp of fright. Groaning, I looked up at the person, surprised - and mildly shocked - at who I saw. Deep, grey-green eyes stared back at me with a mixture of shock and embarrassment, one hand scratching the back of his neck while the other was held out awkwardly, a means to help me up.

        I grabbed Cameron’s hand and let him pull me up, feeling the strength he held. We stood, our hands still clasped, until I let go.

        “Sorry, I wasn’t thinking,” I apologised, pulling the strap of my bag further up on my shoulder. He seemed surprised, and shook his head.

        “No, seriously, it’s my fault. I should have been watching where I was going.” We both sort of smiled at that, and he looked away. I cleared my throat and moved to the side about to leave. Cameron grabbed my arm before I could leave.

        “Let me buy you lunch,” he said, almost hopeful. I was about to deny - he was the enemy - but something stopped me. If he took me to lunch, I could gain information. Ask questions. It would be worth my while to at least have some help from them, even if they didn’t know it.

        And so I grinned, facing him once again. “I thought you’d never ask.”

        Ten minutes later, we were seated at a small, ‘Italian’ restaurant, awaiting service. I stared down at the menu, perplexed. Half the food on here looked foreign - hell, that was exactly what they were. The only thing that looked remotely appetizing was a ‘Caesar Salad’, and that was because it was salad.

        When I told Cameron what I was ordering he smirked and chuckled slightly, which confused me. “What?” I asked innocently.

        “Nothing,” he murmured in response, however I could still see his smirk even though he tried to hide it behind his menu.