xxii | A Healing Touch

© Stephanie Anne and Dee Atkins

                  Chapter Twenty-two

The cabin was silent. It was an eerie sort of quiet though, and upon slipping in through the door I noticed something odd. An air of danger lingered, and I gulped. Cam seemed to notice it too, even through his pain.

My eyes flickered around the small room, taking in the crooked shelves, papers littering the floor as if someone had sorted through them quickly before discarding them, and the creaky table that seemed to have moved over a few inches. Atop it rested the journal, only I didn’t remember leaving it there, open.

Slowly I crept closer, Cam following, limping. The page it was open to startled me. A large picture of a dagger was present on one page, followed by handwritten words underneath and around it. Carefully, I ran my fingertips over it, gasping at the amount of energy that zapped through my body, and I had to force my spirit abilities away before I lapsed into another memory. Cam looked at me worriedly before looking at the journal too. His eyes ran over the words, scanning the picture, and recognition entered his eyes. We both knew what dagger this was.

“What is this book? Where did you get it?” Cam asked, voice strained as he studied the intricate markings, and looping letters.

“I found it a while ago,” I replied. “In this cabin.”

Cam looked into my eyes briefly before looking down at the page again. “Why were you reading this page?”

“I wasn’t.” Fear settled in my gut. Someone had been here. They’d rummaged through my things. What if they’d taken something; taken my weapons? I let my eyes dart around the room, and sighed when I located my weapons still in their hiding spot in the corner. My eyes soon met Cameron’s again, and we shared a long, wary look before we both looked down and began reading the passage.

I have been searching for almost ten years, with several leads that have almost cost me my life, but also my wife’s. We have been all around the world in search of a weapon. A weapon of legend, according to my wife. We have now found ourselves in Europe, travelling through Scandinavia and more of the northern parts of Europe. Myths and legends have brought us here, and through deciphering them we have managed to locate what we think is Ellasyna.

We have travelled through Denmark, ending our visit quickly with only few leads. My wife is growing anxious - she knows it is here, but she cannot sense it, nor does she know what to look for. We have hit so many dead ends; we have not got much time left.

From locals in the small towns of Denmark, tales were told, legends unfolding in front of us. Bella was in awe, while I tried to understand what they meant. Islands and lights in the sky were main factors - at first I thought Alaska, but then, no, not when all our data and ventures have brought us here. It was then that I thought Norway. Maybe we’d be lucky and find something there.

So we packed ourselves up, uprooting whatever ties we had made and travelled further north.

Through a story from an older woman, we were able to distinguish that the Lofoten Islands might be our last hope. Bella was growing somewhat ill; I wasn’t sure if it were because of the winter and how hard she was working, or because of something else entirely. It was worrying, but she was able to go.

The islands were beautiful, but we weren’t there to admire the view. We were there to find it - to find Ellasyna. After days upon days of searching I’d - we’d - almost given up, until we found something important - something that aided us greatly.