Chapter Two

One night, Clem and I are on the side of a run-down road. We have been following a truck with lots of supplies for some time, and finally, we pushed down an old tree. The tree falls in front of the supplies truck and the driver turns into a bumpy area, which causes the truck to flip over onto its side.

Quickly, Clem and I approach the vehicle as a man in handcuffs picks up a gun and aims it at the driver who is trying to escape.

The man aims his gun at the guy, and we watch as he shoots him and kills him instantly. Clem aims her shotgun at the back of the guy's head, and he drops his gun.

"That's good," I mutter, "just keep looking forward."

The man sighs, "Look, I'm no threat to you, alright? I surrender!"

Clem and I chuckle, "No threat, huh?"

"Tell that to the dead guy." Clem responds, as I pick up the pistol that the man had, "Now don't do anything stupid."

I grin, and we speak in unison, "'Cause we're not as nice as you, we'll shoot a lot quicker than you did."

As we turn away to inspect the truck, the man mutters and follows us, "Holy shit, you're kids!"

I scoff, "Not a kid, teen. And you're a grandpa, congrats!"

The man rolls his eyes at my statement, but continues, "Wait, did you two do that? With the tree?"

"We were trying to stop the truck." Clem responds.

"Shit." I mutter, as we enter the truck and find some food.

"Hands up, eyes closed." Clem orders, taking some food from the guy's backpack.

When she pulls out a chocolate bar, the man is quick to retort, "Hey, that's for my niece. She loves chocolate more than anything. I promised it to her, please."

Clem and I exchange a glance, and I nod with a reassuring smile at my best friend, she places the bar back in his bag.

"Count to 100 before you start going." I add, placing my hands in my pockets.

Over the years after AJ was taken and Kenny was dead, I was getting bored with walkers. It was the same routine everyday, wake up, eat, search for more food while avoiding walkers, go find a new home for the night, sleep, repeat. Clem said it made me look more confident in my abilities though, except, I already knew that.

"Wait just- my family. I need to get back to them. We were attacked and I don't know- I just need to know where I am. We were driving down the 522, that's where we found the junkyard. They're still there, at least..I hope they are." the man says, turning to us.

Clem glances at me, knowing that I've memorized most of the map for this area, "I know where that is. You said you were driving?"

"In our van, yeah." He responds.

"We'll take you to the junkyard, if, you let us take your van." I smirk, winking at Clem quickly.

The man nods, "You got a deal."

"Let's go."

As we walk down the road, the man asks if being tied up with the gun at his back is really necessary.

I reply first, "We don't know you."

Clem adds on, "We don't trust you."

Then, we speak in unison, "And we're not taking any chances."

"I understand." He mutters.

"Glad that we understand each other." I mutter, glancing at my beat up fingernail beds.