1. Oops, He Dead

Part One: The Unexpected

Having the girl he's in love with get kidnapped is not how Damon thought his day would start. Having the boy he used to be in love with being responsible for said kidnapping was not how he thought his day would end.

The morning had started out beautiful. Damon was still getting used to being in Mystic Falls and drinking out of blood bags instead of seducing his way into a feeding, but it all seemed worth it to stay close to his brother and Elena, even if they both gave off the impression that he wasn't welcome.

Both Stefan and Elena were at school at the moment, which left Damon alone and bored. He supposed he could go to the grill, but Alaric was teaching, so Damon would be drinking alone. That idea did not sound appealing to him at all.

Damon passed the morning reading Stefan's old journals and drinking more scotch than he should. This peacefulness was interrupted by Stefan slamming his way into their house.

"Damon, Do you know where Elena is?" Stefan seemed frantic and out of breath, which Damon would've reveled in if it didn't mean Elena was MIA.

"No, I figured she was with you doing the whole learning thing," Damon stood up, crossing his arms. "Why? Is she not?"

"No, I haven't seen her all day," Stefan turned around, leading Damon outside. "Come on, let's see if Bonnie can do a locator spell to find her."

~~~~~~~~

Stefan sat in the passenger seat of Damon's car, obviously contemplating how to handle the situation at hand. Damon tried to concentrate on driving. If he let his mind wander too much, he would end up freaking out. Damon did not do freaking out.

Damon drank a blood bag, sharing a little with Stefan, and came up with a plan. When they arrived at the abandoned house that Elena was apparently in, he was ready. He and Stefan were going to get Elena back.

The plan worked fairly well, in Damon's eyes. He was so focused on protecting Elena that he didn't care who it was they were protecting her from. It didn't matter. Whoever decided to mess with Elena deserved to die as far as he was concerned.

Damon listened, and when he attacked, he did it at full speed. He never paused. With a stake in his hand, he stabbed it directly into the kidnapper's heart, pinning him to the wall.

With Elena now safe and the vampire's skin turning grey, Damon finally took the opportunity to see who exactly it was he killed.

His stomach dropped.

"No," Damon said out loud. It was impossible. He must be seeing things. "No," He said again, backing up. He let go of the stake.

"What is it?" Stefan asked.

Damon's relief felt soiled. "It's--," He paused to compose himself. "It's nothing. Let's go." He just about ran out the door.

"What was that about?" He heard Elena ask Stefan.

"I don't know," Stefan replied, because of course he wouldn't know. Damon never told him. He never told anyone. He never had anyone to tell and he never felt okay enough with himself to tell anyone. Now he didn't think he could ever be okay enough.

Because the man he just killed was Elijah Mikaelson, the man he's been in love with for sixty years.