8. Damon Falls Ill

Damon was frustrated. The lead he was following had been a  dead end, and being thrown into a such a bad situation did not bode well  for a vampire with recently turned on emotions.   

        He was still getting used to feeling everything when the girl  he had spent weeks trying to find turned up dead from a broken neck.  Damon didn't doubt that someone was actively working to slow him and  Elijah down, and it was all so       frustrating        .   

        Damon wasn't exactly the most patient person in the world, so  he decided to deal with this helplessness he couldn't seem to get away  from in the way he knows best.  

        He had ditched Elijah a few hours ago and made his way to a  seedy bar where the drinks were cheap and the people were even cheaper.  Damon wasn't in a playful mood, so he figured that the least amount of  effort he had the put in, the better.  

        He had been sitting at the bar for a couple of hours but was  only on his second drink. He didn't want to lose himself before he got  what he wanted. Soon enough, however, a decently attractive girl made  the mistake of sitting a stool away from Damon at the bar.   

        Damon chatted the girl up, giving her his most charming smile,  and she smiled right back. In only a couple minutes, she moved seats,  now occupying the stool right next to Damon. He had won. He looked her  dead in the eyes and said "You're going to follow me out of this bar  into the back alley where nobody will see us, and you will look eager  about it."  

        The woman did so. Damon held her hand to sell the story, an effort wasted on the mostly drunk people they walked past.   

        Once in the alley, Damon compelled the girl again. "Don't move  or scream." And Damon bit into the girl's neck. He didn't know what it  was, but something about feeding on people seemed to calm him down,  giving him what almost felt like a buzz.   

        Footsteps sounded down the alley, and Damon let go of the girl long enough to see that it was Elijah that had shown up.   

        "Sorry if I'm interrupting, but I worried you might be making poor decisions." Elijah looked skeptically at the bleeding girl.   

        "I'm always making bad decisions. But I don't mind the  company." Damon smirked, then moved the girl between them. Elijah took a  few steps forward, then hesitated. Damon tilted the girls head to  expose the side of her neck that wasn't bleeding when he noticed Elijah  looking intensely at him.   

        "Very well." Elijah said. He stepped up to the girl, then promptly bit into her, all while maintaining eye contact with Damon.   

        Damon let out a breathy laugh, then resumed his position  feeding on the other side of the girl. For a minute, the two men shared a  meal. When the girl started to stagger due to the blood loss, Damon let  go, Elijah following suit.   

        A little too harshly, Damon pushed the girl to the side so  that he could look at Elijah with nothing in between them. He didn't  really want to admit it, but seeing Elijah with blood coating his mouth  and staining his pristine clothes stirred something in him. He couldn't  explain it, but this particular sight felt burned into Damon's memory.   

        Suddenly, Damon found himself pinned against the same wall he  had pinned the girl not that long ago. Elijah had both of his hands  pressed against the wall on either side of Damon's head, their chests  brushing lightly against each other. Their faces were inches apart.