3. The Boys Reunite

Damon couldn't believe this was happening. He never would have guessed that this is where his life would have ended up, but at this point he didn't care. He was too happy to care.

He laid on his back with Elijah on top of him. They were so close and so hot that their bodies seemed to meld together. Damon's hands were in Elijah's hair, his oh so pretty hair. Elijah's hands were in more fun places.

Damon let his head fall back, and Elijah gently bit into his neck, drinking his blood. Despite the pain of the bite, Damon felt delirious with pleasure; he had never felt anything that resembled this. He was almost embarrassed by the sounds he was making. Almost.

When they were finished and content, they remained side by side. Elijah stared into Damon's lidded eyes. For once, Damon didn't want the person in his bed to leave. His heart felt full.

Damon moved closer to Elijah and rested his head underneath Elijah's chin.

"I love you," Elijah whispered. Damon believed him.

For once, Damon didn't want to leave the person he shared a bed with. For once, Damon felt safe.

~~~~~~~~

"I don't get it," Damon said out of breath. Elijah had him pressed up against the car of the girl he had just drained, hands of either side of his face. They had been kissing. A lot. "You were dead. I... I killed you." There was blood on both of their mouths.

"A little wood isn't enough to get rid of me. I figured you had known," Elijah held Damon's gaze. This man sure did love eye contact, one of the reasons Damon loved him.

I love him.

"I thought I had actually killed you, Elijah," Just saying his name invoked countless emotions inside of Damon. "Sorry about that, by the way."

Elijah laughed. Damon missed his smile. God, he missed everything about him.

"All is forgiven, Damon. You didn't seem to realize it was me, so I'm not upset with you," Elijah gave Damon a soft kiss. "In fact, I'm proud of you. Not everyone can go up against an original and survive." This time Damon laughed.

"I was such a mess. I cried for you, you know that? The thought of you dead nearly killed me," Damon leaned his head back so he could look at Elijah better. Then, he noticed the Sun was starting to rise, and he frowned. "We should probably take care of her," He said, nodding towards the now cold body still in the middle of the road. They were lucky nobody else had driven through here.

"You are a messy eater when you're upset," Elijah said while smiling. Damon would give anything to never lose that smile.

They both worked on getting the body far enough into the woods that search parties wouldn't bother looking, and Elijah moved the girl's care off the side of the road to give the appearance she had willingly gotten out of her car, which Damon supposed wasn't entirely inaccurate.

It was only when they were both in Elijah's care on their way to Mystic Falls that Damon remembered what had been bothering him so much not even a couple hours ago.

"Elijah?"

"Hmm?" They both kept their eyes on the road.

"You know I love you, right?" He wasn't exactly sure why, but suddenly he felt nervous.

Elijah nodded. "And I love you," So simple. So Elijah. "Why are you asking me this?"

"This is going to sound weird," Damon let out a breath. "But until I staked you, it was almost as if I had forgotten about you."

Elijah seemed to contemplate this. "Do you feel as if you're forgetting anything now?"

Damon thought for a moment. "No, but I also didn't feel that way before. Do you think I just suppressed it?" It seemed unlikely, but Damon couldn't think of any other explanation.

"You didn't suppress anything, Damon,"

"Then what happened?"

"I compelled you, Damon," Damon whipped his head around to look at him. If it were anyone else having this conversation with him right now, Elijah would seem callous. Damon knew better. He was scared.

"You compelled me?"

"I compelled you to forget me, Damon," Damon looked back at the road. "When I left you sixty years ago, I was in a dangerous situation. I still am, I suppose, but back then it was much worse. I wanted you to be safe, but I knew you wouldn't agree to stay away. You always insisted on helping me. One of your charms," Elijah turned to give Damon a smile. "I compelled you to forget me, to allow you to live your life the way you had been before we met."

"Then how do I remember you now?" Damon wasn't complaining. In fact, he was relieved he still remembered how to feel so deeply.

"I told you to forget all about me and what you felt for me, what we felt for each other. That is, you were to forget until you saw me again. Then, everything we shared would be returned to you," Elijah removed one hand from the steering wheel to wrap around one of Damon's. "That is why you are able to remember now."

Damon laughed a breathy laugh. "You dick, you're not allowed to do that,"

Too soon, they arrived back into town.

"Do you still live in that old house with your brother?" Elijah was already driving in that direction, but Damon wanted to keep talking. He wanted Elijah to stay right where he was next to him, where Damon could keep looking at him.

"I do, but I'm more interested in where you're staying." Damon hoped he was staying.

"A shitty motel, I'm afraid," Elijah slowed the car down. "Nowhere near a nice as your elaborate room, I'm sure."

"Shitty motel will do, then," Damon's grip on Elijah's hand tightened. "Take me."