Chapter 4

Dillon hung the painting back on the wall and straightened it. He stood there remembering when he had first hung it there for his wife. The painting reminded him of the happier days when his wife was alive and a sore reminder that she was gone. Would he ever get past her untimely death? He had given up hope that life could be anything but painful.

Charlie, sensing his anguish, broke the silence. "I have only met Gladys and Jeremiah. I was hoping to get to the village today to meet more of my neighbors". Neighbors. It had a whole different meaning here than it did back on the mainland. Dillon turned away from the painting and looked at her. The light from the window was illuminating her hair. He felt ashamed that he found her beautiful. Almost as if he were betraying his wife.

"Most of them are busy during the day, you'll be hard pressed to get more than a handshake", he told her flatly. He hadn't meant to come off so rude. But the fact of the matter was that the inhabitants of this island were always working. She needn't get it in her head that this was fantasy island. Work was work and no one had time for anything but working. "You would probably have more luck on Saturday. Everyone gets together for a potluck supper. If you want to go I will be there to introduce you to everyone", he told her. Now why in the world had he offered that. He hadn't attended the pot lucks since his wife died. His only communication had been with Gladys when she brought out his groceries or Anne if she brought him meals from the cafe. This would certainly set the village a buzz.

Charlie's eyes lit up. "I would love that, thank you. What should I bring to the pot luck?", she added. "It used to be just an array of casseroles and sides", he told her. "My wife would usually take some sort of salad or dessert".

Once again his face changed. Charlie wished she knew him well enough to try and comfort him. She knew all to well how being around daily reminders could drive a person mad. She had the wherewithal to get away from her pain but she figured he was tied to the island whether he liked it or not.

To change the subject she thought of questions that would hopefully ease his tension. "What is the weather like here on the island?", she inquired.
He turned and stared at her again. "Summers are cool, nights are chilly. We get a lot of wind so you'd best be careful when on the lighthouse balcony", Dillon finally answered. "On the island winter's are frigid but we never any get snow. It can get icy though. I will make sure you have everything you need to make it through. You will need some warm winter clothes but there is time to get those yet", he told her. "You mentioned painting, what supplies do you need?"

She told him she liked acrylic and water colors, the types of canvas and brushes she liked and he said he would order everything. After a moment of silence he rose from the chair he had been sitting in. "I will be back when it's time to go to the lighthouse, I would like to see it. It's been a while since I have been up there", and with that he headed to the door.

It was hard being around this woman. She stirred something deep inside of him and that made him feel like he was betraying his wife. He didnt know why he said he would come back. The more distance he put between himself and Charlie, the better.

He told her goodbye and left the cottage. Charlie was not sure how to interpret this encounter. Jeremiah had told her he never came to town yet this man had just invited her to the pot luck, visited her in her home and planned on returning. Not that she minded because he was as good looking as a Greek God but she was still confused. Was it because she was a woman? In the past, lighthouse keepers were generally men. Perhaps in time she would be able to figure him out. In the meantime, she actually just enjoyed the company.

Charlie had risen when he did but was still standing in the same spot. He hadn't given her a chance to move when he had all but bolted out the door. She decided to explore the garden surrounding the cottage. She retrieved her camera and headed outside.

The garden was beautiful. She snapped a few pictures of the roses beside the door. In the yard there were rose bushes everywhere. There was every color rose you could think of. Reds, peach colored, white, yellow, pinks, even a blueish rose bush. A path wound through them to the side of the cottage. As she walked around, she noticed a bench, a birdbath and several bird feeders that were empty. She made a mental note to get some bird seed. She wished there was a more comfortable spot to sit in the garden. Maybe Mr. St. Clare would let her order an Adirondack chair. She enjoyed having morning coffee outside and this was like paradise. She imagined summer mornings would be bliss but she knew how frigid Maine winters could get so she would enjoy this while she could. She began to hope they would allow her to stay longer than a year. She liked this place.

She had been so enthralled with the beauty of it all, she had forgotten about her camera,  She made her way back to the front of the cottage. On the other side of the yard was a small vegetable garden. It was overgrown with weeds. She wondered who had planted it there. Maybe the last lighthouse keeper. Well, she could remedy that. She turned to go put her camera up. When she entered the cottage, her eyes immediately noticed another rose on the kitchen counter. "I know that was not there when I left", she thought to herself. She didnt believe in ghosts but this was definitely weird. If she did have a ghost, at least it was friendly. She giggled as she thought of Casper the friendly ghost as she continued to her room to put her camera away.

Charlie weeded the garden until it was time to turn on the light. Mr. St. Clare had not showed back up as he said he would. She completed the task and returned to the cottage. She ate a sandwich and went to bed.

Maggie knew why Dillon had not shown up. She felt his pain when he had entered the cottage. She knew she would have to help him to forgive himself for her death before he would be able to move on. He blamed himself. If he hadn't been sick, he would have been the one in the lighthouse that night. He might have been able to fight back. But be that as it may, she was the one who died and now that Charlie had arrived, she had a chance to help him and maybe free herself as well.

Dillon had gone back home after leaving Charlie earlier in the day. He couldn't go back to the lighthouse. It had been a few years since Maggie had died but it still hurt like it was yesterday. The moment he had walked through the door he could feel Maggie all around him. At one point, he thought he smelled her sweet perfume.

He felt guilty that he found the new lighthouse  keeper hauntingly beautiful. An image of her flashed through his mind, her auburn hair blowing in the wind as she stood on the lighthouse balcony. He shook his head and cleared his mind. He would have to avoid her. At dusk, he stood in his darkened house and watched the lighthouse beacon come to life. He wondered what Charlie thought about his absence. It didn't matter, this was how it was going to be. He decided to send her packing after her contract was up, if she lasted that long. Life was lonely here on the island and not everyone was cut out for solitude. Dillon could do nothing but wait her out.

He stood in the shadows and watched the new lighthouse keeper. She was so young and beautiful. Unlike with Maggie, he would have her. Maggie should have been his too. If she hadn't fallen when trying to get away from him, she would have been. It really was a tragedy. The whole village mourned her loss. The only satisfaction he got from her was starting the rumor that St. Clare had pushed his wife from the balcony. He relished in the fact that only he knew the truth. Even though it wasn't his intention, he had brought St. Clare to his knees and tarnished his reputation. Only a few people believed St. Clare was guilty but it was enough. It was probably why St. Clare had become a recluse on the tiny island. A prisoner in his own home, unable to venture out without whispers and gossip surrounding him.

As he watched Charlie go back to her cottage after leaving the lighthouse, he began to shake. She reminded him of Maggie. Since he couldn't have Maggie, he would make sure that Charlie wouldn't get away. With that thought, he turned and headed back to his house.