Chapter 5

Several months went by and Mr. St. Clare had not returned. Charlie had developed a routine and was happy with her new life on the island. Every morning and evening when she was in the lighthouse she would venture to the balcony to look for him at his cottage. It was if he had vanished. She wondered if his visit had been too much for him to handle. She couldn't hold it against him. She probably would have done the same. Technically, she did. She had left all her memories behind her as the constant reminders of Eric had been overwhelming. She didn't know if it was her new life or just time that made dealing with her loss easier.

Charlie attended the pot luck dinners every Saturday and had met most of the island residents. They were all very kind. She met Mr. and Mrs. Sperry, an older couple who ran a laundry service and tailor shop. Clint Langly was the village handyman and Mr. and Mrs. Hansen ran the medical clinic. Mrs. Ollie ran a cafe and boarding house. Then there was Gladys and her husband, George, who ran the trading post. She had yet to meet everyone else like the boat crew, dock workers, and those who hadn't attended any of the Saturday get togethers.

Gladys had given her a box loaded with painting supplies and groceries at the last potluck. She had also asked for Charlie's clothing and shoe size. She told Charlie that she was going to send off for winter and wet weather clothes. Charlie assumed it was for stock in the trading post. She hadn't even thought about winter. It was just now July and she wore shorts most of the time. 

Jeremiah had been at a few of the potluck Saturdays when his uncle's boat was in. They would sometimes stay gone for a few days at a time. They seemed to be the islands delivery service for supplies and were responsible for picking up anything on the mainland that the island couldn't provide. She had an odd feeling that Jeremiah had a crush on her. Charlie would catch him staring at her and he made a point to seek her out as much as he could when he was not on the boat. It was a little disconcerting. That was the last thing she needed. She hoped she could curb his interest without ever having to directly tell him she could never think of him in any other way except as a friend or a little brother.

Charlie was working in the small vegetable garden when she heard a shuffle behind her. Turning she saw Jeremiah closing the gate carrying two large paper bags. "Hey, Charlie", he called out. Charlie promptly got up and went to help him. "Gladys asked me to bring this stuff to you, it's just a bunch of groceries. She thought you might like some of the stuff we brought in on the ship".

Charlie smiled brightly. "I am sure I will. Thank you for bringing them out to me and tell Gladys thank you as well".

She took one of the bags and peered inside it as she carried it into the house. Jeremiah was close on her heels. Right off the bat, she noticed oranges and bananas. Charlie loved fruit so she was rather excited.
As she began unloading the bags, Jeremiah went and sat down at her small kitchen table. "Now that you have been here a few months, what do you think of our little island?" he asked her.

"I absolutely love it here, I am hoping to extend my stay for more than just the one year if they will let me", Charlie said thoughtfully as she worked. Under the oranges and bananas she found some red potatoes, purple onions, a jar of pickles, and numerous other staples like rice, flour, sugar and a jar of honey. The other bag had eggs and several packages wrapped in brown paper on top. She looked at Jeremiah. "I added those. It's some fish from our catch this morning. I thought you might like some. I even cleaned 'em for ya", he said with his usual grin. Charlie thanked him and continued. There was a roast, some sausage links and ground beef and several more packages of meat, cheeses and lunch meats.

Charlie had finally gotten used to her delivery service. Most often it was Gladys or her husband that brought her supplies. Once a week she would get something new and every other week the boat arrived with all sorts of fresh items from the mainland like fruits and vegetables they didnt grow here. It was a nice system.