Never Turn On The News

Abby's POV

I woke up the next morning and saw the pills next to my bed: one bottle for my anxiety, one bottle to help me sleep, and one bottle to help give the baby the nutrition it needs.

My eyes instantly started to water as I remembered the little baby in my stomach. I slowly sat up, gently putting my hands on my stomach. I looked down at my shaking hands and bit my bottom lip. I was just about to start getting ready when my phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Abby. . ."

My breath got caught in my throat when I heard Felicia's broken voice. "Fel? Are you alright?"

"Are you home?" She asked after a few seconds of hesitation.

"I am. Why?"

"Turn on the tv."

With my phone pressed to my ear, I quickly grabbed the remote turning on the tv in our bedroom.

"What channel. . ."

I didn't have to finish my question because the second I turned on the tv, I figured out what she wanted me to see.

The scene that was being reported made my heart stop. It was a newscast of the oil rig. There was so much smoke and still some flames.

"No," I sobbed as the phone fell out of my hands. "No no no nonononono."

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't tare my eyes off the screen. My breathing sped up as I watched the clips of emergency personal trying to put out the fire. I scanned the images, knowing I wouldn't be able to see any sign of him. I ignored the lady speaking as she explained what happened.

I didn't care what happened to cause this. I cared about Caleb and whether he was okay or not.

I stumbled when my back hit the edge of my bed. I fell to my knees, grabbing onto the mattress for support. My lip was shaking as I tried to hold back tears. The images were burned into my brain as I sat on the floor. A sob escaped my lips, not having the strength to stop it.

I felt as if my body had been drained of all and any energy I had left. My hands were shaking, my whole body ached, and my shoulder shook as the sob loudly escaped my lips.

This was too much. My biggest fear had come true; something happened on the rig and Caleb could be hurt. . . Or worse.

That thought made my sobs louder. It got to the point where I was barely breathing as the tears violently streamed down my cheeks.

"I can't do this!" I yelled between sobs. "I can't. . . Why did. . . I need him!" I didn't hold back the scream I've been wanting to let go of for a long time. "No!"

I angrily grabbed the nearest thing to me, which just happened to be an empty beer bottle, and threw it across the room. I didn't care that it made all the pictures on that section of the wall fall to the floor. I didn't care about the pieces of glass now scattered around our room.

I struggled to breathe as I failed at calming myself down. Usually looking at and playing with my engagement ring helped calm me down. It only brought on more pain. I tore it off my finger, ready to throw it across the room, but stopped. Another sob escaped my lips as I slowly put it back on my finger.

Tears continued to stream down my cheeks as my knees gave out, making me sit suddenly on my ass. I pulled my knees into my chest and tightly wrapped my arms around them.

"I can't do this anymore," I whispered. "I can't. . ."

My eyes widened when I remembered something that I could, that I should fight for. I took a shaky breath as I straightened my legs out in front of me. I put my hands gently on my stomach, slightly rubbing over where the baby is growing.

"Hi, baby," I said, my voice shaky and dry from crying. "I know things seem. . . Bleak right now. . . The thing is. . . Something bad happened to the place where your daddy is working, but. . . But, it's going to be okay because there's something you should know about your daddy. . . He's. . . He's the bravest man I know. He's strong and smart and stubborn. And he loves me and even though he doesn't know about you. . .yet, he will love you. With everything he's got. Caleb, your daddy and the love of my life, will do whatever it takes to make it home to you. To us."

A sob got stuck in my throat as I leaned my head back against the bed and closed my eyes. "Even if he doesn't," I said shakily. "You still got me."