forty one

"It's a testing day for the freshman." I told my mom, still laying under my blankets. "I'll be in homeroom all day. There's no valid reason for me to go to school today."

"Get up before I drag you out of the bed. Now. You're going, bottom line." I groaned and pushed my blankets off, then I climbed out of bed and pushed my closet door open. I flipped through until I found an outfit, I wore a pair of light washed Levi's, a white crop top and my leather jacket. I slid on a pair of boots and quickly brushed my teeth and hair.

I walked down my hallway only to stop when I heard my fathers voice speaking hush over the phone. "Lence, I've done fired three capos within the past week. Do not underestimate my abilities. I want those papers signed and on my desk by tonight."

I quickly hid behind the wall, still listening. My dad didn't say anything else, he slammed a door and walked around the corner. "What're you doing?" He snapped and grabbed my arm.

"Let go of me!" I yelled. He began dragging me to the office. "Dad!" I yanked my arm away and stepped back.

"Who the hell do you think you are eavesdropping on my conversations?" He yelled and ran an angry hand through his hair. I stepped back again watching him clench his fist. One thing I knew about my dad was he had anger issues that he held deep inside, thanks to Year's of counseling.

"What're you doing working for capos?" I snapped.

"I don't work for them." He said. "They work for me. It's a business that you have no part of.  Keep your mouth shut and get to school." I looked around the office before leaving, only seeing tons of papers scattered around the place.

There's something going on here.

••••

Instead of going to school I went to the Cold Croc, soft rock music was playing and quickly found Baby Tooth. "Lj!" He yelled and hugged me tightly to his chest. I chuckled and hugged him back. "Don't you have school?"

"Yea. But I need something from you." I pulled his leather cuffed wrist to a back corner by a pool table.

"What is it?" He asked in a hushed tone. "Please tell me you're not in trouble."

"I'm not sure, it's not me I'm worried about though. It's my mom and dad."

"They're adults they can handle themselves." Tooth looked at me with a skeptical glare.

"My dad is hiring capos, Tooth. We don't even have capos."

"Capos. That's serious business." I nodded my head in agreement.

"Who has capos?" Lennon asked with her snobby face.

"How many times are you guys going to say capos?" Jinx asked walking up. "It's annoying."

I felt my heart rate speed up but I kept a composed composure. "Why are you guys listening in on our conversation?" I asked. I sounded like my dad earlier.

"Vipers don't keep secrets Lj." Jinx said. I groaned and looked up the stairs that led to Brian's office.

"Should I just take this to him?" I asked Tooth, nodding my head towards the door.

"We're all coming if you do." Lennon said.

"Who the hell invited you?" I snapped. She squared up and I did the same. We were a hairs width away from each other before tooth pulled me back from her. She laughed.

"Maybe I'll just take it to Brian instead. That should be fun."

Jinx rolled her eyes and looked at me. "If anyone you know is hiring capos you need to take it to Brian. I'll keep lunatic Lennon down here." I waited for Lennon to say something but she never did. I thanked Jinx and went to grab Tooth's jacket again but he slapped my hand away.