I Already Kind Of Hate You.

"Won't be back here tonight."

West stated as he changed into his work uniform in front of Brittany's full length mirror. A worn out green golf shirt tucked into some light blue straight legged jeans and black high top converse sneakers.
Brittany abandoned scrolling through her facebook feed to spare West a questioning glance.

"What kind of flower shop opens until late anyway? Are you sure you're not being taken advantage of? There's this thing called child labor and I'm pretty sure it's illegal in the state of Maryland."

West almost laughed at that, "Yeah, well, I like working in the garden."

"Is, uh... Killian... going to be there?" Brittany asked, trying to sound as indifferent as possible.

West sighed, rolling his eyes in annoyance as he watched Brittany try to suppress a grin through the mirror. "I should've known."

"What?"

"Yes, he's going to be there." He answered through gritted teeth. "I'm training him, remember? Why are you so interested in him anyway?"

"Jesus, what's got you in such a sour mood?"

Seeing Killian. Being around Killian. Working with Killian. Just... Killian.

West kept that to himself, though.
He grabbed ahold of his night bag, scanned Brittany's room to make sure he got everything before flinging it over his shoulder. He was already halfway through the door when she spoke up again.

"Text me when you get to work, douchebag!"
--

That night, West was arranging bouquets of white roses in the storeroom for an upcoming wedding as a fascinated Killian watched from the doorway.
West wrapped the stems of the flowers with red silk bows, his eyebrows pinched and his lips pursed - the ultimate look of concentration. He enjoyed his job, more so than he ever thought he would. Even with Killian in his personal space, scrutinizing his every move.

"You need any help?" He offered.

West's response was a curt and dismissive "No." Like Killian wasn't hired to assist him, like Shirley hadn't tasked him with training Killian and showing him the ins-and-outs of her little business, just like she'd done with him when he first began.
Quite frankly, West's immature behavior was starting to get on Killian's nerves.

"What's your deal with me, man?"

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I don't get you, I was obviously hired because YOU needed MY help! Even I can tell you have too much work on your hands, it's not a crime to ask for fucking help, you know."

A ghost of a smile danced on West's lips, he was amused at Killian's sudden outburst, "I'll consider it."

"What the--did you just smirk at me?"

West slid out his work desk, then stood a couple of inches away from Killian. "Yes."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you? Making my life here a living hell?"

"I certainly don't hate it." West returned.

He liked working alone, he was used to it. Adding Killian to the mix would complicate shit. He knew he had to do it, there was no other choice, he just had to make things hard first.

"You're an ass." Killian spat, disappearing out the shop's front entrance.

West couldn't deny that. He was unreasonably being an ass.
I mean, yeah, the dude was insufferable, over confident and unbearably giddy, but West could at least be civil. That's all he could spare.