Chapter Three

__________________________________________

The Shipwright, or the Ship's Carpenter, was a thick-skinned man at the age of thirty-five.
Richard wasn't very tall, but he was wide and had a strong body from years of working hard with wood and tools. His features were rough, and his face adorned with growing facial hair. He had bright blue eyes and long brown hair tied in a short ponytail. He had tanned skin littered with freckles from a life at sea.

He seemed to have given Alfred a warm welcome. He explained to him that he'd had quite a few new mates, so breaking in a new one wasn't hard for him. His room, which was only one floor underneath the deck, served as his workplace as well as his living quarters.

"Sheamus doesn't usually give me new mates. He usually forces me to pick them out." Richard continued. He was rummaging around in the corner of the room, where piles of tools and spare wood were stored. It was Alfred's second week on the ship now. He didn't know whether or not he really had any positive thoughts right now.

He had learned to like what he had in a sense. His roommates were nice to him. He and Kiku got along very well, and although Yao seemed to argue with him from time to time, he was fine. Herakles didn't talk much and slept all the time. He even got away with sleeping on the job. Alfred didn't talk to him much at all. He was more just amazed that one person could sleep that much.

He hadn't seen much of Arthur at all since that day. To be fair, Richard had kept him mostly down in his workplace, helping him.

He was a little too bossy for Alfred to really like him. It was annoying. Richard was just kind of mean in Alfred's opinion. He tried to be nice anyway, considering he didn't know what served as punishment on a pirate ship and didn't want to find out.

Even when he was somewhere else on the ship, the Captain had been elusive.

It was Allistor he saw more of, to be honest. In reality, it was Sheamus who ordered him around. Perhaps that was for the best, Alfred didn't like seeing Captain Jerkland. He wanted to get used to his new life, and not worry about what exactly was going on when he saw the captain at all.

Sheamus gave respect to anyone who could beat him at poker. In Alfred's case, he liked card games. It was one of the main sources of entertainment back on the naval ship. He loved playing cards. Gambling was a little bit of foreign territory for him, but he never objected. Other games like Canasta were a bit too complicated for him.

Most of the crew still whispered behind his back. Most of them teased him and mocked him. It was similar to his old relationship with his fellow soldiers anyways. Alfred was used to this kind of treatment.

Richard had taught him how to cut and carve wood, and he was already able to use most of the tools, thanks to living life in the colonies where one of the basic necessities to live was being able to work with wood. Richard wasn't kind, he was more of the mutual need kind of person. He simply tolerated people.

"Anyways, I want you to mend the remaining crates up on deck. Smith and his lot should have put them up on the raised deck up by the second mast. We need them usable before we make port tomorrow." The ship was making port in a small town in France. Alfred could not pronounce the name at all.