Chapter 15

'Lailah...beta wake up,' ummi said softly and I opened my eyes. I was exhausted.

'Yaz is here with your parents and siblings.'

I sat upright and smiled tiredly at their worried faces. Uzair was sniffling continously so I held my arms open, wanting to embrace him but Yazaar placed his hand on my arm. 'You can't...' he said and squeezed my arm but I shook my head.

'It's fine, it's just asthma.'

He lifted Uzair so that he could embrace me properly. 'I'm fine Zair...just tired. I had a long night habibi.'

I placed a kiss on his forehead and leaned against him lightly. 'What did the doctors say?' Yumnah asked softly, covering her face with her hijab.

'I had a mild asthma attack, it's normal.'

Ummi gasped and asked,'Is it because of the incense sticks?'

I shook my head and leaned back feeling exhausted. I wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and fall asleep.

Someone slipped their hand in mine and I thought it might have been Yumnah but when I looked up and saw that it was Yazaar, my heart jumped out of my chest.

'Let's give them space,' Thakir said catching my attention. His eyes were red and seemed to be filled with anger. 'Thakir...' I called just as he was about to step out. Yazaar left my hand and stepped aside so that my brother could come to me but he told me that it was better if we spoke later.

It was awkward and silent for a while until he cleared his throat and asked,'Are you okay?'

I smiled and nodded. He stepped closer and said,'I don't want you to go to Yemen.'

'Why?' I asked feeling myself get riled up even though I was afraid to go, I still had to see my brother.

'Lailah what if something happens to you? I am responsible to look after you and care for you now, if something happens...'

My breath had caught in my throat, hoping he would have said that he cared about me but when he finished his sentence I felt disappointed.

'...if something happens, everyone would blame me for allowing you to go and how would that make me look?'

'I'm going and you're not going to stop me. My brother is everything to me.'

He muttered stuff in his language before he threw his hands up in exasperation. 'Fine, go! But only if you allow me to come with you.'

I could not tear my gaze away from him.

Such beautiful eyes.

'No, it's okay. My brother will be with me at all times.'

He clenched his jaw before he walked out of the room without another word.

Yazaar is one confusing person, his emotions were all over the place and I had no idea how I would cope with that for the rest of my life.

***

'Lailah, wake up. It's time for Fajr,' I heard him say but I turned over and groaned.

'Lailah!' he whispered harshly and poked me.

The poking went on for a little while until I heard him walk out of the room. I took that as an opportunity to curl up into a ball and get comfortable.

I had nearly fallen asleep until the blankets got pulled off of me and water was splashed on my face.

I jack-knifed up in the bed and spewed the water out of my mouth before glaring at Yazaar.