A Wolf's Tale

• United States of America,

Wisconsin,

Sometime around March •

With Thomas's news, I have been filled with wonder and confusion. Lato was dead, but now he lives on. I lift my eyes up to Thomas and stare, it has been about a week since the news, yet we haven't found out anything. I raise my ears and look to the right, a breeze winds its way through the trees and towards the stream. A bird calls and flies down to the stream, following the stream. It begins to sprinkle water around itself, then stares directly towards me. It makes a call to me, beckoning me towards the stream.

I slowly pick up my feet and pace towards the small stream. The bird immediately flies to the heart of the stream and calls to me again. This time, with a jump, I jump off towards the bird, almost tripping. This time the bird stays until I walk directly next to it, it slides to its right and motions towards where it was standing. I take a small step on the spot and suddenly water and light explode from the small stream. A power surges within me and my golden eyes turn into a icy blue. My reflection in the water is what shocks me the most.

Under and around my eyes, spots of my fur have turned into a light blue, that seems almost to flow out of my body. My paws seem bigger and every part of my body feels stronger. I urge my thick paws forward in the direction I came, running back to Thomas.

"Thomas!" I bark while dashing still.

"Call me Lato." He pauses, still unable to see me, then continues, "what is it?" There seems to be annoyance in his tone. I finally reach him and his face turns to wonder.

"How? What?" He continues on and on with questions, but I never hear one of them, I'm too busy asking myself the same questions. What is wrong with me? How do this happen? Why? My head is spinning with millions of questions and no answers. I squint my eyes and focus on breathing, the questions slowly pour out of my head, and I can hear is the pounding of my heart and the birds chirping.

When I open my eyes, Lato is looking right at me. He looks almost angry. When he sees me he looks away, clearly embarrassed or guilty. He stares back at me with tears forming in his eyes.

"What makes you so special?" He speaks in sniffles and rage now.

"Your just a wolf. I'm stuck as a human, yet you get some insane power. Maybe if I got it, I could stop living as a miserable human." He almost spits this at me and I turn back. There are no words I can express, and I don't dare to make contact with his eyes.

Lato, even when I had just met him, seemed to always have some peace to him and be like able. Now he just looked horrifying, his face filled with sorrow and hatred.

He glares at me with tears in his eyes, then angrily turns and dashes away. I don't want for him to come back, making my way deep into the forest, where maybe he never may find me again. I find a spot under a tree where a rabbit once must have lived and begin to dig the hole bigger.

Morning comes, and the light hits my eyes, calling me awake. I look out, and to my disbelief Lato wasn't found me. Or so I think. I pick my feet up from underneath me and stretch out of the makeshift den. Lato must have been walking through the woods, human foot prints for the dirt and it smells of faint human.

I begin my walk back to my mother's old den, peering around corners and trees looking for him. My pace quickens when the den is within sight, and excitement fills me. But in an instant, I hear a noise behind me and a clank sound.

Here is Part 6, like I promised. I will begin work on part 7 and hopefully I will finish this short book soon!