Chapter 1

Jesse adjusted her ebony backpack strap that had fell off of her shoulder.

The cool air brushed gently against her warm skin and the night was just as she expected.

The glimmering stars coated the dark sky. The silence was just as peaceful as could be and the cool air felt really nice.

No clouds were spread out across the sky, so it was a clear cloudless night and Jesse was very happy about that.

Of course, her mom would kill her if she found out that her daughter was out this late, but Jesse could care less.

The moonlight shone down on Jesse and her brunnete hair swayed as gentle breezes calmly rolled by.

Jesse fiddled with her backpack straps and gazed softly at the large mountains in the distance.

The star's radiant light reflected in Jesse's dark brown eyes and Her eyes glistened. Her messy hair swayed.

Her beige overalls were caked with mud, but that didn't seem to bother her.

Jesse sighed heavily and crossed her arms over her chest.

Her backpack was extremely heavy and now she was starting to regret taking it with her.

She uncrossed her arms and stopped near a small lake.

The moonlight hit the water making it glisten and beam radiantly in the dark night.

Jesse kicked a small dark gray pebble into the lake and the pebble skipped across the top of the water a few times before sinking.

Jesse watched it sink deeper and deeper until she couldn't see it anymore.

Jesse swiftly sat down and slowly set her zebra-striped backpack down next to her. 

The wind played with her dark brown hair and with the spare rubber band that she had on her wrist, she pulled her hair back into a neat ponytail.

Jesse pulled one leg up to her chest and rested her head on her leg.

For a long time she was like that. Nonchalantly, sitting in one place, thinking quietly to herself. It wasn't what she came here to do, but she could always do it another time.

She wasn't even aware of how much time had passed and occasionaly she would find herself dozing off.

"Jesse?" A familiar voice asked, tapping Jesse's small shoulder lightly.

Jesse wearily turned her head watching as her friend sat down beside her.

"Hey Reuben," Jesse greeted warmly, a small smile now spread across her face.

Reuben breathed heavily, his face slightly red from all the running he just did.

He smiled softly, "Hey Jesse."

Jesse turned her head back to the glistening water, her mind swirling with many thoughts.

Reuben faced the water as well, his glimmering umber eyes scanning the glimmering lake.

"What do you see in things like this?" Reuben asked Jesse, curiosity burning in his warm gaze.

Jesse leaned further back, smiling softly. "Just lot's of beauty...," Jesse drifted off.

Reuben nodded and leaned back as well.

"You should really get home Jesse. You know how your mother is," Reuben said, turning his head to Jesse.

"I know... But...," Jesse trailed off.

"You'll get in really big trouble Jesse," Reuben said.

"So will you," Jesse replied instantly.