Chapter 44

“Thanks Sarah!” Kol said, taking off her apron, since her time in the soup kitchen was up. “I’ll be going now.”

“You take care now, poppet,” Sarah, the fifty-something year-old woman that was in charge of the kitchen, fondly gave her a hug. “Have fun yeah? How good it would be to be young again!”

“I’m sure you can still do what I do, Sarah,” Kol laughed.

She waved to the people in eating inside as she exited. A lot of them waved and smiled back at her. Most, if not all of them, asked for an autograph from her. Sarah had one of those Polaroid cameras that printed out photos instantly, and she generously photographed the people who wanted photos with Kol as well and gave them the Polaroid.

Kol took a cab because she decided not to bring her car around on New Year’s Eve, fearing the explosions of fireworks and just explosions in general potentially hitting her car.

The traffic was bad though, and by the time it took twenty minutes of being just on the same street, she paid her fee and decided to walk the rest of the way. The house she was going to wasn’t very far from here anyway.

Kol could walk the rest of the way.

Several times, she was stopped and recognized. She had to take photos and have a little bit of small talk, when all she really wanted was to get to her friends already. Kol may have been a nice person, but she could also get moods when she didn’t want to be approached by strangers.

Right now, there were a few guys, probably drinking already but not quite drunk, bumped into her on the way.

One of them instantly had his phone out, and from the looks of how long he was holding it up, he wasn’t just taking a photo. He was taking a video of it.

She had a picture with each one of them and she said, “See you later.”

Kol started walking, and to her irritation, they kept following her. She kept looking back, just wishing that they would leave her alone already. The guy still was taking a video even while they were walking and following.

“Hey Kol you want to have a drink with us and a couple of other friends?” one of them boldly said.

“Can you just say hi to the camera one more time?”

She looked over her shoulder and didn’t stop walking. Kol wasn’t at all worried if they could harm her. There were a lot of people still around, with it being a holiday, and there was traffic lined up, with people inside those cars. If there was a commotion, she would be sure someone would help her.

They kept saying her name and she decided to stop and turn around. “Sorry. It’s one of my few nights off.” Hoping that they would get the message, she started walking again. They still followed, still trying to talk to her.

She eventually just said, “See you later,” when one of them requested her to say something different. Kol got to the house right on time and went straight up the stairs. She knocked a few times and Luca, the owner of the house answered it.