Balcony Boy (32)

"No way. What are the odds of that? How is this even possible?" Lisa questions from across the table.

"Are you sure it was him?" Mary asks.

"Pretty sure. He chased me to art and Miss Roth had to get rid of him." I assure them. "God, how is this happening?" I groan into the table.

"Well this ruins all of our plans." Alex states from beside me. "The new boy was meant to take your mind off of Jake but it ended up just being...Jake."

"Amber!" We all turn in the direction of the shout.

As predicted, Jake is at the other end of the canteen, eyes trained on me.

I turn back to my friends to find them all gawking at him before they shift their gaze to me. I swallow.

"I don't know what to do." I say, my breathing picking up its pace.

"Well you better make your mind up quick because he's coming over." Alex states from beside me.

"Before I left, I was going to let him explain himself, but that was when I thought I was never going to see him again." I explain, the words coming out fast as I weigh up my options.

"What do we need to do?" Mary says calmly, looking me straight in the eyes.

"I-I don't know."

All three of them look at each other, seeming to communicate without words. Alex nods and I watch as she walks over to Jake.

Lisa grabs my arm and pulls me away from the table, Mary following us, throwing glances back towards where I see Alex blocking Jake's path.

We make it out onto the corridor and walk away from the canteen until we get a safe distance from it.

I rest my back again the wall and slide until my bum hits the floor, my head resting on my knees. "What do I do?" I ask, sniffing slightly as my nose starts to run.

"Only you can answer that, Ams." Mary says, quietly.

"Maybe you should just hear him out." Lisa shrugs. "That way you have the full story and can make a decision on that."

Mary sighs, "She's got a point, Jake doesn't seem like he's going to give up. You can't spend everyday running whenever he calls your name."

I nod slightly and they both sit either side of me, resting their heads on my shoulders.

We sit like that for a couple of minutes until I take a deep breath. "Let's go find him."