eight

"Are you nervous?" I'm asked, my thumb brushing along the side of the invitation.

"Not really. Just annoyed that I have to go," I respond back, my friend walking close to me. Tiana, my best friend and really my only friend, has been in my life forever. She's the only friend I ever bothered to make in this harsh reality of the world, and I'm her only friend as well.

"Has Amelia even tried to move on?" she asks, and I snort as I drink my tea. She only laughs, knowing that it's a negative answer. Her last relationship was damn near the apocalypse, and she was an absolute horror to be around. And that says a lot.

"Alright, help me please," I say, her body moving towards me. She starts brushing, teasing, curling, and styling my hair. It's an hour long task and I look in the mirror, finding the fairly simple style just my kind of look. Parted to the right side, the left side pulled back, and light curls falling over my shoulders.

"Thank you," I grin, her hands quickly squeezing my shoulders. The doorbell rings and I get up, moving towards the door. I unlock it, opening to find no one. As I'm about to close the door, I stop when I notice a box on the ground.

Once I pick it up, I observe the decorated box as the door is shut. It's a dark grey box and a silver ribbon ties it together. Tiana is now standing in front of me, clearly looking at me.

"You going to open it?" she asks, my head tilting to look at her. I nod and take a deep breath, setting it on the counter. I know who it's from, but I have no idea what lies inside. With a swift pull of the bow, it come untied. My fingers move to take the top of the box off and I open it, my heart pounding out of my chest.

"Shit," Tiana says, the red rose first catching my attention. But then my gaze switches to the white mask, covered in grey sparkles. I take it in my hands and look at my friend, her hands grabbing it from me. As she looks at it, I take the card that rested beneath it and open it.

I'll see you at the front, darling. ~ H.S.

"Who the fuck is your secret admirer?" Tiana smirks at me, snatching the card from my hand.

"Ooo, H.S. Sounds hot," she smirks, making me laugh. I've not ever mentioned him to anyone I know, but I hold no secrets with her.

"I met him at the last event," I tell her, and she grabs my hands.

"Then I need to make you look hot," she says, and practically rips my arm out of its socket to do my makeup. She makes it look like a science, spending what feels like hours to get the wing of eyeliner at a certain angle and my eyeshadow perfectly blended. If it weren't for her, I don't think I would know what I'd do for these events.

When she's finished, I stand and remove my robe. My dress is slung over my head and I form it onto my body. Once on, I unclip my bra and take it off, forming the dress better. I step into heels, looking up at Tiana. She lifts the mask, placing it over my eyes, and ties it to ensure my hair is in place.

I get a message saying my driver is here and I look at Tiana one last time. "Thank you. For everything," I say, her smile bright as she looks at me. I give her a hug, telling her she can stay in my apartment as long as she needs as long as she remembers to lock it on the way out. She only laughs but encourages me to go and to relax.

Reminding myself that I am going there to meet someone other than my sister, I take a deep breath and take a seat in the car. My fingers hold my clutch, containing my invitation, cigarettes, and my phone. I grab the phone, looking at the screen, and I have a message from my sister, as well as my father. He writes to tell me to be on my best behavior, and she writes that she will meet me there.