Chapter 8 Commodity of a Broken Dream (2/4)

"Okay," she said, again with a deep breath.

"My mother had a lot of kids. So did my real father. I'm not the youngest, but I'm close. Most of my siblings don't live in the kingdom anymore. My mother has had several kings before Farren. She had many children with them too. I guess you could say my story started when she was fed up with one of her former partners, King Akto.

"I don't know exactly what he had been doing to displease her. I've heard a lot of different stories. But regardless of what happened, he no longer was making her happy. He had amounted power and stature in the land after their many years together. This was a problem for her plan to get rid of him. So she concocted an idea to reach out to a nation not far off.

"She knew the king there was a mighty man. The land he ruled was called Onan and it was a large kingdom with a lot of wealth due to his plunder of cities. The kings name was Maka, and he had made much of his riches by taking sides in the conflicts of other nations. He had a large army ready to amass a defense against any warring nation for a price and he was a master strategist to boot. Maka of Onan was perfect for what my mother had in mind.

"She requested his services and lead a war against her own nation. A schism was created amongst the royal guard, the soldiers, and the people. Some on the side of Caporia and some for Akto. But with his forces split in half and the powers of King Maka and his men on her side, she took back most of Black Tree. Though both sides were damaged, Akto left battered and broken with what little he had left.

"My mother was deeply taken with Maka's riches and power. So after the victory was ensured she sought to create a marital union of their nations. The king was taken by her looks but was off put by her ways. He had no intention of follow through with a union and he made that clear. Keenly aware of this, Caporia got as close to him as she could and became pregnant with me. I was born as a presentation to King Maka as a bright and new Black Tree and Onan united kingdom.

"My father was appalled by her actions. Yet he still cared for me in his own way. He had had several children and thus many heirs already before I came along. My position with him was not unlike my position with my mother. My dad is in love with his way of life. He always has been. Children never changed that. And so I was left in Black Tree as a princess of a kingdom that never was. And it's clear my mother never forgot that."

Barley had been listening carefully. When she stopped talking it was clear he wanted her to continue. "Did he ever come back for you?"

Paxiss face twisted into an exaggerated squint of her left eye. "That's... kind of a long story. I guess the short answer is no."

Barley frowned. "Well what about your siblings? Do you know where they are? At least the ones on the queen's side?"

"Sure," she said, "they are all over. Most all of them don't live in this village anymore, but you've met the one that does. It's Toka."

"Toka the farmer?!" Barley was in total disbelief.

"Yeah, my mother doesn't raise her children in the conventional way."

"I'd say she doesn't!"

Paxiss cleared her throat, "He's the youngest and I'm just above him. We've been through everything together. He's often been my only friend through a lot."

The corner of Barley's mouth lifted, "I'm really glad you had someone."

"Yeah," she said looking into her tea, "He's King Farren's only son and definitely my closest sibling. My other-"

"That guy is off," Barley interjected. He couldn't help himself, "I'm sorry, but every conversation I've had with him is-"

"No, you're right. You're absolutely right," said Paxiss, "He's not the easiest person to get along with."

"What's his story anyway?"