07. Condemned

Ritchie woke up the following morning with a migraine already setting in. Groaning in pain, she turned restlessly in her bed. It didn't take her long to realise that she wasn't alone. Oh yeah, it was one of those mornings again... Maybe she was a slut after all.

She reluctantly opened her eyes. Izaya was sound asleep next to her, breathing heavily, a slight frown creasing his forehead. Ritchie would have been interested to see the information broker at his most vulnerable stage if she hadn't felt like she was nursing the hangover from hell.

Sighing, she rolled over onto her front and buried her painful head in the pillow. Hangovers she could deal with. Hangovers she tended to deserve. Migraines just weren't at all fair. If only she could just get back to sleep...

"I'd watch you don't suffocate yourself if I were you, Ritchie-chan. That would be a real shame."

Oh great, Izaya was awake. Ritchie reluctantly rolled back to face him, squinting in the light that was starting to pour into the room from between the blinds. "Right now that'd probably be a blessing."

"Oh don't be like that. Are you telling me you regret last night?" Izaya put on his best hurt voice.

"No. I'm regretting waking up," replied Ritchie, kneading her forehead with her fists in the hope that it would help.

"Well that's no good, Ritchie-chan," said Izaya brightly as he sat up. "Aren't you supposed to live life to the fullest and all that?"

"Just stop talking," moaned Ritchie, now pressing her palms over her eyes. Why was it such a challenge for Izaya to be quiet? Next thing she knew he was pulling her hands away from her face. "For fuck's sake, what do you want from me?"

"I want you to entertain me," said Izaya simply, like it was obvious.

"Well I don't want to entertain you," said Ritchie shortly. "Leave me alone."

"Come on Ritchie-chan, don't be boring," complained Izaya, still tugging on her hands.

"Go away!" said Ritchie more loudly, pulling her hands away. She realised that they were acting like a pair of children but she didn't really care right now.

"Why don't you want to play?" asked Izaya, back to his mock hurt voice.

"I have a migraine," replied Ritchie exasperatedly. It wasn't like she was purposely being awkward.

"You don't feel well?" There was suddenly a hand against her forehead. Izaya didn't look particularly concerned though - he seemed disappointed more than anything.

"I am only human," said Ritchie sarcastically. She didn't care that he wasn't concerned. His cool hand still felt good against her throbbing head. She closed her eyes and put her hand over his as he went to pull away. "Don't... That feels good."

Izaya sighed. "You're so boring, Ritchie-chan."

"Yes, I'm so sorry that my feeling like shit inconveniences you," said Ritchie testily.

"Well what am I supposed to do while you're in bed feeling sorry for yourself?" Izaya complained.

"You're a big boy. Entertain yourself," said Ritchie grumpily as Izaya pulled his hand away. "I don't really care what you do; just let me go back to sleep."

She knew that she was effectively giving Izaya consent to stay in her apartment and do whatever he liked. Quite a scary thought... But right now she genuinely didn't care. All she wanted was to go back to sleep. And that was exactly what she was going to do.

She did manage to fall asleep and when she woke up again she was relieved to find that her headache had finally gone. And so, it seemed, had Izaya. Her apartment was completely silent. He'd obviously grown too bored and left.