12. A Shot At Normality

Ritchie was starting to feel like the world revolved around her. She could now understand why Izaya had such a god complex. Shizuo had had the easy opportunity to take out his mortal enemy and he'd given it up just because she'd asked him to. Of course that could have been because he was surprisingly a gentleman, but Ritchie chose not to factor that into it.

She'd had the power over Izaya for once and she'd decided not to use it. She didn't regret her decision though. She didn't want to play this game the same way that Izaya did - getting the pawns to carry out his dirty work. She wanted to make the moves herself. When it finally came down to it this was going to be her checkmate.

But lately he was back to being perpetually happy and all of her devious intentions disappeared as she revelled in their relationship being back to normal. Well, as normal as it could be for them.

Though after a while, as usual, Ritchie was starting to think that there was some other reason for Izaya's good mood. Her suspicions were only confirmed when he made her another proposal one afternoon while they were at his place.

"What do you say to going on a date, Ritchie-chan?" he suggested cheerfully.

Ritchie raised her eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"A date," repeated Izaya in the same patient tone he often had to use with her. "Isn't that what couples do?"

"I don't know if you've noticed but we're not like other couples," Ritchie pointed out.

She received a derisive snort in response, but it wasn't from Izaya. They weren't alone this time - Izaya's secretary Namie was also in the room, working on the computer. Ritchie had crossed paths with her several times before, but since she and Izaya didn't hang out at his place much during the day she didn't have to see Namie that often.

Not only did Ritchie not understand why Izaya even needed a secretary, she also openly disliked her. Namie made it clear that she couldn't stand Izaya and also showed her obvious disgust over Ritchie's relationship with him. Ritchie didn't like being looked down on and purposely went out of her way to annoy her.

She shot Namie a haughty look before purposely shuffling along the couch and climbing on top of Izaya, so that she was straddling his lap like a common stripper. Izaya watched her in amusement but didn't comment. He could often predict Ritchie's intentions and he knew that she enjoyed annoying his secretary.

"Though maybe I can make the exception," Ritchie said loudly for Namie's benefit.

Sure enough, it evoked the response she'd hoped for. "You two make me sick," said Namie in disgust.

"Don't like? Then don't look and don't listen," replied Ritchie hotly, deliberately twisting her fingers into Izaya's hair and tilting his face up towards hers.

"Gladly," said Namie stiffly, abruptly pushing the chair back and getting to her feet. "I'm not going to work like this."

Ritchie watched triumphantly as Namie left. Stupid woman... The secretary had no right to judge her, especially after what Ritchie had heard about her and her creepy, incestuous love for her younger brother. Yeesh.

Once the door had slammed shut Izaya began to laugh. "How rude of you, Ritchie-chan. You chased my secretary away."

"She was pissing me off," replied Ritchie testily. "I wanted her out."

"And a very fine job you did," chuckled Izaya. He pulled a thousand yen bill out of his pocket and tucked it neatly into the waistband of her skirt. "That earns you a tip."

Ritchie raised an eyebrow. "I'm practically giving you a lap dance here - you've gotta pay more than that," she joked.

"I'm still far more interested in our date," said Izaya.