These Golden Moments

Do not fail me, little Malfoy, or she will feel the wrath of the Dark Lord.

Draco slumped down onto the cold stone floor, hot tears streaming down his face as his chest heaved.
He couldn't do it. He tried and tried but he just couldn't do it.
He contemplated just giving up, but he couldn't leave her behind to suffer.
His body stiffened as the sound of footsteps reached his ears.
He'd know those footsteps anywhere.

"Draco! Oh Merlin, are you -"
She had seen it. His dark mark.
He closed his eyes waiting for the onslaught. After what seemed like eternity, she spoke, her voice quivering with anger.
"How dare you?"
"Granger, let me explain."
"Don't you Granger me!"
"Hermione-"
"How dare you not tell me about something like this."
"Hermione, I didn't want this. I-"
"I know! I know you didn't. I know you. I'm mad because you kept this from me."
"I'm sorry...I just..."
She continued, "Here I've been being so selfish, accusing you of cheating on me, and you've, you've...."
"Hey, it's not your fault, Granger, okay? I didn't tell you."
"But..."
"No buts. We were both wrong. End of discussion."
Her voice softened, "Draco... What happened?"
He looked away, "I was horrible at occulumency. As punishment for my father's failure, I was brought before him. He looked into my mind and saw everything. And I couldn't stop him. He- he-"
"What did he do to you?" She asked gently.
Draco collapsed, turning his face away from her as he felt a tear slide down his cheek.
"He threatened my mother. And - and... He threatened you."
Hermione sighed. He felt her slide down to the floor next to him.
Then she wrapped his arms around him.
"It'll be okay. Alright? I promise, he's not going to get to me. We'll be fine. We are going to get out of this alive, together."
He hugged her, bringing her small body closer to his, drinking in every word, every feeling, every feature, as if he was afraid that this would be the last time he ever got to hold her.
"Draco? I need you to tell me... What does he have you doing?"
And just like that, that familiar feeling of drowning closed in once more.
He took a few deep breaths, willing himself not to give in to the panic, for his voice not to shake.
It didn't work.
"He, he wants me to kill, to kill Dumbledore."
She didn't reply, instead bringing him closer.
"Anything I can do to help?"
He stared at her incredulously.
"You, you don't have to..."
"Well, I figured if a psychopath is waiting to kill me when you fail, I'd better make sure you don't screw this up."
"You're amazing." He whispered, awed.
She smirked at him.
He cupped her face in his hands, turning serious.
"I love you." He whispered, "And I swear, I will never let anything happen to you. I'll protect you, I promise."
"I love you too." She smiled, before hitting him hard on the arm.
"OW! What was that for?"
"I can protect myself you know." She told him.
"Yeah, I can see that." He muttered.
"What was that?"
"Nothing."
She smirked at him, "I thought so."
He let out a breath and tugged on her hair, "You're scary."
"I know."
"You sounded a little too smug."
She didn't reply.
He sighed and squeezed her a little tighter.
"Hey. I love you, you know."
He smiled, "Quite right too."
She snuggled closer to him as he closed his eyes.
He would treasure these little moments with her, savour them, those little flecks of gold, shining amidst the overwhelming darkness, because he knew that they would be the things that kept him sane.
Hermione Granger would be his lifeline all through the war, and forever after.

************************************