5 × thank-yous

Jay had approached Chae Eun in the hallway as she was making her way back to the classroom.

"A dinner?" Chae Eun echoed Jay's proposal.

The Hong family was inviting the Jeongs to a dinner party. Not exactly a party but just an exclusive get together between the two households. The rich do love calling them parties, though. Why do we need to be there anyway? Chae Eun thought. "I don't know why you're asking me. You should directly go ask Min Chul or the CEO himself."

"You're part of the Jeong family now, Chae Eun. You should be there."

It's been a year since her mom got married to JJ Congloromate CEO, Jeong Jae Wook, but she still hasn't adjusted to it. To be fair, she wasn't interested in entering that door in society. But for some reason it keeps dragging her in. "It's just going to turn out to be a business meeting of some sort and I really don't see the point of me and my mother's presence there."

"Your mother actually accepted the invitation." Jay said carefully, having an inkling on how Chae Eun would react. "I'm just personally inviting you because she told me you'll refuse to come."

She grumbled. "She got that right." Why didn't her mom tell her? They were just talking on the phone earlier this morning. She felt rather betrayed. "Look, I'm sorry. Formal dinners are just not my thing. Mom can come to it if she likes but count me out."

"Please, Chae Eun? For me?" Jay already told himself that he would be ready for pleading. "I don't know how I'll sit through this dinner without Joy."

"Wait, how come she doesn't get to go?"

"She's got a modelling gig that day."

"Oh. Well, remind me some time to consider modelling, maybe I'll get out of things too."

Chae Eun eventually gave in and granted Jay's request. Min Chul was going to convince her to come anyway if she decline Jay. "All right, fine, I'm going."

Jay beamed. "Thank you, Chae Eun. I owe you one."

She waved him off. "Nah, you don't. Just make sure to keep me company. Wouldn't want to embarrass myself in front of your family."

"You couldn't even if you wanted to."

"Yeah, yeah, you've already convinced me to come, no need for flattery. Right, I'll see you around." Chae Eun parted ways with him in front of her classroom. Eun Tae and Jace happened to be standing outside, witnessing a muted version of the conversation of the two. She nodded at them and then proceeded inside. The two followed Chae Eun as she entered the room.

Jace decided to tease Chae Eun. "You and that guy have been hanging out an awful lot lately." He pointed at the door. "Was that him asking you out on a date?"

Chae Eun settled on her seat, bringing her feet to rest on the table. She tried looking indifferent. "Kind of. He asked me out to dinner."

"He what?" Jace and Eun Tae both exclaimed in unison.

"A family dinner," She added but that didn't seem to clear the incredulous looks on their faces.

"You're meeting his parents now?" Eun Tae shoot up from his chair. Jace was already marching towards Chae Eun. "What have you been not telling us?" His voice now raised a pitch.

Can't believe she forgot how thick headed these guys can be. "Between his family and the Jeongs. Business dinner. Dude, come on. I know I've told you how those two are business partners. Do you ever listen to anything I say?"

They weren't the most attentive, they'll give her that. "Okay, but why do you have to be there?" asked Jace.

"My question exactly." Chae Eun shrugged. "Don't stress out about it, it's not like you're the one going."