Chapter 1: His Butler and Maid, Able

Darkness.

Nothing but darkness filled her dreams. That was the best adjective she could come up with to describe her surroundings in her slumber.

Pitch black everywhere.

And that's when it happens; the memories.

Flashes of light.

A gunshot.

Screams of agony.

The hot sizzling sound of a hot poker piercing her back.

The sound of her own screams echoes throughout her mind.

Blood splattered everywhere and lifeless bodies lying stiff on the ground beneath her feet.

The atmosphere was very cold as well, but she didn't care. She was used to it.

It becomes dark again.

Suddenly, a light appears ahead of her, but she stays still, her breathing ragged and heavy. She sensed a presence coming towards her and when she looks up, she saw a tall, dark, slender man, dressed in all black, standing in front of her, staring down at her with his glowing maroon colored eyes, a small smirk forming on his pale lips.

Before she woke up, she remembers the last words he said to her that night, the very night she escaped from the facility:

"There you are."

*****

*Katerina Fairchild's bluish green eyes snap open as she wakes up from her nightmare, breathing heavily and sitting in a straight position in her bed as she looks around, realizing that she's now in her small bedroom:

*

Katerina: *lets out a soft breath and rubs her eyes* Not the nightmares again. When will it end? *looks over towards the window and sees the sun slowly coming up* I mustn't worry about that now. I need to get out of bed and dressed before Sebastian yells at me for sleeping in again.

*She gets out of bed, stretching her arms out, makes her bed, and grabs the towel that was resting on the chair in front of her vanity table and her soaps before walking out of the room. She walks over to the bathroom door and knocks on it, relieved when she hears nobody inside. She walks in and prepares her bath after she puts her long soft blonde hair in a bun. As she washes the sweat off her body, she begins to think about her nightmare, squeezing her eyes shut as the screams echo in her head once more. She shakes it off as she finishes washing herself and gets out. She dries off with her towel and rushes back into her room before any of the other servants could see her. She shuts the door behind her and takes out her favorite pink corset and white undergarments, putting them on and tying the laces on the corset behind her. She puts on her maid uniform, a short black and white dress with long sleeves, and puts her apron around her waist, tightening the strings behind her. After putting her black knee-high boots on, Katerina brushes her hair and puts it up in a ponytail with a ribbon, brushing the side bangs. She fixes the pin on her dress, a pin that has the Phantomhive crest on it, symbolizing her as the Head Maid of the manor, and the pin that once belonged to her other, Isobel, who died when she was only a child. She takes a deep breath as she then fastens the small golden heart-shaped locket around her neck and gently touches it, thinking about her mother. She sighs softly as she puts on her gun holster underneath the skirt of her uniform, making sure that both guns are loaded, and walks out of her bedroom and leaves the servant's quarters and enters one of the long hallways of the Phantomhive Manor, using the feather duster to dust some of the large picture frames on the walls*