Chapter 17

"Imperial Physician Li, how is my brother?"

That was the first sentence that managed to slip from Yuwen Xiu Ying's lips as soon as the imperial physicians came out from Prince Jing's chamber.

During her brother's examination, Yuwen Xiu Ying couldn't sit still and kept on pacing around worriedly. She was like an actress in a drama who anxiously waits for her boyfriend outside the operating room.

Wu Rui, at the moment, sat calmly on the rosewood couch, could only let out a deep breath and shook his head helplessly. Since Yuwen Xiu Ying didn't know their plan, Wu Rui could understand that the girl must be worried about her imperial brother's well-being.

Imperial Physician Li bowed his head as he reported, "Replying to Your Highness, other than several cuts, His Highness Prince Jing only suffered from bruises. Thankfully, the incisions from the sword aren't too deep and there's no internal wound in His Highness' precious body."

Yuwen Xiu Ying sighed with relief upon hearing the great news.

"This lowly servant has prescribed the medicines for His Highness. If His Highness takes the medicines regularly the wounds will heal in less than a month."

"Mm. Thank you, Imperial Physician Li!" Yuwen Xiu Ying slightly nodded, then shifted her gaze to a young eunuch who ducked his head and stood behind the group of imperial physicians. "Xiao Jin, quickly escort Imperial Physician Li and his assistants to the carriage."

"This servant understands."

Soon after the imperial physicians have gone, Wu Rui spoke. The young prime minister decided to spill the beans and explained their plan to Yuwen Xiu Ying. His heart would always felt restless as long as he kept this secret from her. Wu Rui didn't realize when he became like this, but he never liked the idea of hiding something from his woman. Toward her, he always wanted to be like an open book.

"Ah Ying..." Wu Rui softly called as he poured some tea to an empty cup. "There's something I want to talk to you about."

"What is it?" Yuwen Xiu Ying knitted her eyebrows and strode towards the couch. She calmly took a seat across Wu Rui, separating them was a small tea table made from rosewood.

Prime Minister Wu didn't immediately reply. Instead, he gently placed the teacup in front of Yuwen Xiu Ying and shifted some porcelain plates filled with desserts to her. Among them were Xiu Ying's favorite snacks: osmanthus jelly, mung bean cake, and hawthorn cake.

Wu Rui did this not without reason. He thought he needed to appease her before he told her their counterattack plan.

"First, you need to promise me not to get angry."

Yuwen Xiu Ying allowed faint creases to appear on her forehead as she put down her teacup. Suddenly, a bad omen crept into her heart.

"Actually, those assassins are our people." Wu Rui let out a deep breath and took a quick glance at Yuwen Xiu Ying. He looked exactly like a child who got caught by his parents after doing something wrong. "Last week, after you told us about your nightmare, Yuwen Kang immediately asked one of your cousins who was in charge of the military camp, to find that person. Unexpectedly, there's indeed a young lieutenant named Hu Qing."

At Wu Rui's explanation, Xiu Ying couldn't stop her mind from rewinding the nightmare she experienced a few days ago. It was probably the worst nightmare she ever had.

In that dream, Xiu Ying was currently attending a certain banquet when out of nowhere, a group of assassins attacked the imperial family and turned the joyous occasion into havoc. Strangely enough, the assassins were aiming for Yuwen Yu only, as though he was their sole target. And because of this assault, Yuwen Yu was harmed and suffered from several serious injuries.