Chapter 11 - Planning

Rodney came in from a morning working with, or more accurately harassing the smith to find John sitting on his bed awkwardly cleaning his stripped down P90. His sling dangled from his neck and there was a furrow of pain between his eyebrows.

"Should you be doing that?" asked Rodney.

"Yes," said John, shortly. "I have to start using it sometime. Keller would have me doing some kind of PT by now."

"I suppose," Rodney said, doubtfully.

John began reassembling the weapon. "Good morning at the forge?" he asked.

"I think so, yes," said Rodney, smugly. "Progress is being made!"

"When will it be finished?"

"Hmm... day after tomorrow?" said Rodney. "If Eddie keeps up his current rate of work. Why?"

"Because I want to go and take a look at the island fort," said John.

"What, walk there?" Rodney said with disbelief. "You wouldn't make it out the gate!"

"I walked to the gate and back this morning," John replied. "And I want you to give me the guided tour this afternoon. And show me where Coll hangs out." He put down the reassembled weapon and slid his arm back into the sling with a grateful sigh.

"Coll's usually in the big hut, presiding over chieftainly business and so on. Why do you want to see him?"

"I have an idea. About something we could do," said John.

"Oh. What kind of idea?" asked Rodney, looking at John's expression; it was the innocent one that usually meant trouble.

"You brought some C4, right?" asked John.

"Yes, a couple of blocks. I didn't replace all my standard kit with power bars. What do you need it for?"

"I thought we could blow up a couple of ships," said John.

oOo

Later that day Rodney and John stood on one of the watchtowers looking down over the rolling, green hills toward the sea. Just off the coast at what, Rodney guessed, must be the widest point of the main island, was a tiny islet. It was too distant to see any detail, but there were small fishing boats in the surrounding waters and the adjacent land was obviously farmed.

"I wonder how much damage the raiders caused?" said John, squinting against the sun.

"That's a tricky question to ask without the use of actual words!" said Rodney.

"Have you got your slate with you?" asked John.

Rodney lifted the edge of his cape, revealing the slate tucked into his belt. It was a poor substitute for his laptop or a datapad, but Rodney had taken to carrying it around, and in a small leather pouch he had couple of bits of stone for writing with and a cloth to wipe the slate clean.

The two men made their way to the meeting house, which was very like their small hut, just on a larger scale. There was a central hearth, and on the far side sat Coll in a large, wooden, throne-like chair. Breesha sat next to him on a stool and Vorra sat at her feet. Both women held small wooden circular looms with which they were weaving lengths of cord. Two men were standing in front of Coll, both trying to make themselves heard.

John turned to Rodney and whispered, "Breesha's Coll's wife and Vorra's his daughter! Did you know that?"

Rodney shrugged. "I suppose. Hadn't really thought about it."